[Hpn] shelter requires clients to sell street newspaper

Northeast Coalition for the Homeless neoch@bbs2.rmrc.net
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 10:42:39 -0500

I have seen much worse than having to sell a street newspaper.  If he does
not turn anyone away as it says in the article then he must not force
everyone to sell the paper.  I think it is much worse to force people to
pray who are atheists, agnostics, or non-Christian in order to stay.  Think
about it.  You must pray to my God or we will expel you as my God would want
me to do??

Anyone who bucks the system and fights NIMBYism can't be all bad, (and as an
added benefit he is the only other paper with homeless in the name.)  This
could be a safe haven where homeless people produce a paper, go out and sell
it, and pay for the upkeep on the facility.  If the people who stay at the
facility have a strong voice in the management, and aren't walled in as the
plan calls for this doesn't seem to be too bad.  Marx and Engels would be
proud.

I don't think that we have enough information to make a decision about
coercion or adverse conditions.  My bigger concern is having a place for 700
people with a wall and no drop in clients seems to be bordering on a penal
colony or at least an institution.  What happened to the carefree days when
homelessness was treated as an emergency that our community quickly
responded to instead of a life long illness?

Brian Davis
Homeless Grapevine