[Hpn] Re: looking for suggestions

Thomas Cagle nh-adapt@juno.com
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 07:27:51 -0500

I'm gona put an even sharper edge on this. If you got some (housing) and
you have not done any kind of local organizing or direct action, then why
should anyone listen to what you got to peddle?

The hole that needs filling is eloquently put here "What we need is more
affordable housing". To add a bit of an edge the laws have changed while
your shelter operators have been napping. This whole deal is going to
wind up tighter than a three dollar watch. L.C. & E.W. v. Olmstead is
what done done it.

In case none of you were around to see it similar cases were done that
emptied psych hospitals in the seventies. This one is gonna dump nursing
homes. If you are certain that they won't get dumped in homeless chelters
I have some bad news for you. This is compounded by states that are
purging their disabled out of senior and disabled housing, making them
now solely senior housing.

The short of theis sermon is MI and working poor are going to be
competeing for what is already an inadaquate system, with blind and
mobility disabled populations. Either we get more afordable housing
built, or expect to be pushed even further back in a too long line.

Tom C