[Hpn] Resources

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 17:32:08 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C07418.C409FD40

I was looking through the State of Oregon website looking for a form to =
download when I ran across "Elderly Renters Assistance Program" which I =
promptly printed out, though the actual application was missing from the =
print out.
Years ago, we had a "renters rebate" which came along shortly after =
energy assistance.  One year, I helped old Louie Krachtovil with an =
energy assistance appointment which he was pleased to gain from, then I =
helped him with filling out a renters rebate form for which I told him =
he would also get a couple hundred dollars of benefit from.
When it came check time, instead of checks everyone received letters =
stating that the program had ended and that we would not be receiving a =
rebate.  Except old Louie, he received a letter stating that he was =
entitled to elderly renters assistance and he received a check for.. =
over $600.  Was he ever thrilled.  (Don't ask about the rest of us).
His zenith, our nader.
Mr Krachtovil was very suprised about these programs and receiving this =
money (which pleased him very much.. he was 68 and living in a studio =
apartment).  He said he'd never heard of them.  He threw that money =
right into the bank and laughed at all of us who were moaning for =
getting letters instead of our own rebates.  (Ha ha ha).
Most all the residents at that apartment building had formerly been =
residents of the Eugene Mission.  That is not so now or even likely, =
because at the time we rented there was an onsite, personally =
discriminating manager and the rent was an affordable $225 a month =
(utilities included, and yes we were still entitled to energy assistance =
because utilities were considered to be a portion of the rent).  Since, =
the building has been sold and turned over to professional property =
management.  At last check, the rents were $375 and you were required to =
prove that your income was at least three times the rent amount, which =
nulled me out of the picture at the time I was checking into it because =
I was only dragging in about $600 a month at McD's.  Though, when I =
first rented in 1989, I did just fine renting a unit at $225 a month =
having a monthly income that moved from $365 to $435 (public =
assistance).  It didn't leave a lot cash wise, but it did help us to =
have a roof over our head.

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C07418.C409FD40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I was looking through the State of Oregon website =
looking for=20
a form to download when I ran across "Elderly Renters Assistance =
Program" which=20
I promptly printed out, though the actual application was missing from =
the print=20
out.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Years ago, we had a "renters rebate" which came =
along shortly=20
after energy assistance.&nbsp; One year, I helped old Louie Krachtovil =
with an=20
energy assistance appointment which he was pleased to gain from, then I =
helped=20
him with filling out a renters rebate form for which I told him he would =
also=20
get a couple hundred dollars of benefit from.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>When it came check time, instead of checks everyone =
received=20
letters stating that the program had ended and that we would not be =
receiving a=20
rebate.&nbsp; Except old Louie, he received a letter stating that he was =

entitled to elderly renters assistance and he received a check for.. =
over=20
$600.&nbsp; Was he ever thrilled.&nbsp; (Don't ask about the rest of=20
us).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>His zenith, our nader.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Mr Krachtovil was very suprised about these programs =
and=20
receiving this money (which pleased him very much.. he was 68 and living =
in a=20
studio apartment).&nbsp; He said he'd never heard of them.&nbsp; He =
threw that=20
money right into the bank and laughed at all of us who were moaning for =
getting=20
letters instead of our own rebates.&nbsp; (Ha ha ha).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Most all the residents at that apartment building =
had formerly=20
been residents of the Eugene Mission.&nbsp; That is not so now or even =
likely,=20
because at the time we rented there was an onsite, personally =
discriminating=20
manager and the rent was an affordable $225 a month (utilities included, =
and=20
<STRONG><EM>yes</EM></STRONG> we were still entitled to energy =
assistance=20
because utilities were considered to be a portion of the rent).&nbsp; =
Since, the=20
building has been sold and turned over to professional =
propert</FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2>y management.&nbsp;&nbsp;At last check, the rents were $375 and =
you were=20
required to prove that your income was at least three times the rent =
amount,=20
which nulled me out of the picture at the time I was checking into it =
because I=20
was only dragging in about $600 a month at McD's.&nbsp; Though, when I =
first=20
rented in 1989, I did just fine renting a unit at $225 a month having a =
monthly=20
income that moved from $365 to $435 (public assistance).&nbsp; It didn't =

leave&nbsp;a lot cash wise, but it did help us to have a roof over our=20
head.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C07418.C409FD40--