[Hpn] FW: STREETWISE UPDATE FEB 27

Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:34:34 -0800

sorry folks, I sent the correction to this message out of sequence, and then
the message got bounced. I got my dentures Friday, and I'm not doing pain
medication today, if that comprises a good excuse for being feeble.

chance

----------
From: Karilyde@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:39:40 EST
To:***
Subject: STREETWISE UPDATE FEB 27

STREETWISE UPDATE FEB. 27
Things just keep getting worse at StreetWise newspaper.
We urge supporters to contact the board of directors again with their
thoughts about recent developments. (Info below)
One of the most atrocious things is that both the Coalition for the Homeless
and a local  Bishop have offered to fund an outside mediator to help resolve
the conflict. The Board has refused to accept this offer. Instead, Board
president Pam McElvane offered to bring in a mediator from her own staff at
Black MBA magazine.
Most recently, Pam McElvane told Charity Crouse that she was upset that Kari
Lydersen and  JOhn Wilson were allowed back to work and that she is adamant
we have to be fired. She is saying she has complete control over this since
Kari Lydersen is "not an employee" -- this is a bizarre point of contention
because while Kari is  a contractor paid a regular biweekly wage ($11,000 a
year), StreetWIse is collecting about $30,000 in grant money a year from the
Woods Fund for the purpose of hiring Kari full-time and StreetWise has been
reporting to the fund that this  money is going to pay Kari's salary as a
full-time employee.
This is just one of several grants of which there is evidence of gross
misuse. Another grant of at least $20,000 which was slated to go to the work
empowerment center is also completely unaccounted for.
Censorship of the paper by Pam McElvane and Operations Chief Diane Kenner is
constant. Pam is forcing the staff to print a retraction of a letter from
Seattle street paper editor Timothy Harris which ran in the last issue. She
also prohibited us from running a letter from Rev. Bob Bosse. And she is
forcing us to print things favorable to the board. She is saying StreetWise
is not a newspaper, but a product equivalent to a mug, so the board can
order
the editorial department to do whatever it wants.
Also, the hostile atmosphere at the office is terrible. In the past week,
several staff members have been called "snakes" and "Communists" to our
faces
by vendors, who have been fed these lines by Anthony Oliver. The other day a
vendor went up to Charity Crouse in front of Anthony Oliver and called her a
snake and made hissing sounds. Anthony then patted the vendor on the back
and
told him he was doing a good job.
On Feb. 26 Pam McElvane held a meeting for vendors in which she told lies
about the editorial staff's motives and actions. When several vendors asked
questions, Charity Crouse tried to answer and was silenced by Pam.
The board has also failed to respond to us as promised at our meeting Feb.
12. Aside from a letter sent out to readers, which completely misrepresents
the nature of the conflict, we have had no contact with the board.
We think it is important people continue to let the board know their
concerns
about the situation and about the board's now blatant refusal to do anything
of substance to investigate or remedy the situation.
Thank you for your support.
For more information contact Karilyde@aol.com.

Executive Director ANthony Oliver
312-554-8341 or 312-554-0060