[Hpn] ADA Supreme Court ruling erodes civil rights of all / NOW press release

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:58:58 -0800 (PST)

CIRCULATE this NOW press release, please: FWD http://www.commondreams.org/news2001/0222-07.htm FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FEBRUARY 22, 2001 6:10 PM CONTACT: National Organization for Women Rebecca Farmer, 202-628-8669 x 116 FEMINISTS DENOUNCE ATTACK ON PEOPLE WITH DIAABILITIES AND EROSION OF CIVIL RIGHT LAWS WASHINGTON - February 22 - "The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) opened doors of opportunity for people with disabilities. Yesterday's high court decision shuts those doors on state employees with disabilities and imperils all civil rights laws," said NOW Action Vice President Loretta Kane. "In weakening the ADA, the U.S. Supreme Court is poised to deliver a debilitating blow to everyone's civil rights. The question is not when the high court will gut women's rights and other civil rights laws, but rather how fast and furious the attacks on basic human rights will come?" "The Court's decision in Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama v. Garrett elevated states rights over human rights, and sounded a death knell for justice," Kane said. The 5 to 4 vote was the same margin by which the court has restricted the power of Congress and expanded states' rights in a series of civil rights cases, including United States v. Morrison, which repealed the civil rights remedy of the Violence Against Women Act. "According to the Rehnquist Court, it is fine to force a woman who is battling breast cancer to fight for both her job and her life. If this is compassionate conservatism, then no one is safe. We have not seen such blatant animosity toward basic human rights in decades," Kane said. "And so our movement must fight back harder and stronger to stem this judicial tyranny." Plans to turn up the political heat in Washington are already underway. On March 1, 2001, NOW will kick-off Women's History Month by unveiling emergency plans to fight right-wing attacks on women's rights. "We will not roll over while the Supreme Court, the Bush administration and the Republican Congress try to roll back our rights! We will mount a massive movement, one which affirms the value and dignity of all people, to save our rights and the rights of generations to come," Kane said. END FORWARD Visit HPN for CONSTANTLY UPDATING NEWS on Homeless People: *************************************************************** Over 10,000 articles by or via homeless & ex-homeless people Been Homeless? Then JOIN! EMAIL Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net> Nothing About Us Without Us - Democratize Public Policy ***************************************************************