[Hpn] History lessons!

wtinker wtinker@metrocast.net
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:44:08 -0500

Brothers and sisters!
What has changed in the past 2 1/2 years?
A Brother
Bill
          Copyright  1998 The Seattle Times Company

       Local News : Wednesday, June 03, 1998

       Schell pledges to give homeless a place to stay

       by Susan Byrnes
       Seattle Times staff reporter
       Calling homelessness a civic embarrassment, Seattle Mayor Paul Schell
 has pledged to get every homeless woman and child off the streets by
 Christmas.

       The mayor said yesterday he would ask the City Council to immediately
 allocate $500,000 for additional shelter beds, short-term rent assistance
 families about to be evicted and hotel vouchers for homeless women and
 children. Schell also released a list of 11 ways ordinary citizens can help
 address homelessness, including respecting and being kind to them.

       "In many ways, we've become one of the wealthiest communities in the
 world," Schell said at his regular weekly news conference, where he was
 joined by members of several homeless organizations. "The fact that we have
 children and families going without shelter ought to be a matter of civic
 embarrassment."

       But it was unclear whether the mayor's action would do more than
 temporarily refocus attention on a stubborn problem that has plagued U.S.
 cities for more than a decade. Yesterday, a half-dozen members of the
 Women's Housing Equality and Enhancement League (WHEEL), an organization of
 homeless and formerly homeless women, challenged his proposal.

       "It's grandstanding; it's not practical," said Anitra Freeman, a
 volunteer and activist who was homeless in 1995. "It's a standard Seattle
 practice. You promise something flashy in order to avoid doing something
 difficult. Then, they just let the promise sit there and die out."

       Despite millions of dollars in homeless assistance and a robust
 regional economy, the number of people living on the streets of Seattle
 grows steadily every year, officials say.

       A February report by the Seattle-King County Homelessness Advisory
 Group said at least 5,000 people are homeless on any given night in King
 County, the majority in Seattle.

       Shelters are routinely full, meaning many people have nowhere to go.
 According to some estimates, 3,663 people were turned away without shelter
 in 1997, more than double the number turned away four years earlier. In
 1997, more than half of the homeless people turned away without shelter
were
 single women and one-third were women with children.

       "You can't sit in this job and not feel a sense of responsibility,"
 Schell said. "I'm committed to doing what I can to address this problem."

       Schell blamed the growing number of women and children without
 housing, in part, on welfare reform. Last month, Schell and King County
 Executive Ron Sims wrote a letter to Gov. Gary Locke, urging the governor
 fund affordable child care and job training to keep people from slipping
 behind in rent payments and ending up on the street.

       The mayor's proposal allocates $200,000 from the existing Department
 of Housing and Human Services budget to give short-term hotel vouchers to
 families, a program that usually only operates during the winter. The money
 also would help move families into longer-term housing by subsidizing rent
 payments and counseling services.

       An additional $300,000 would be earmarked for new shelter beds and
 day-service centers.

       But John Fox of the Seattle Displacement Coalition said the mayor's
 proposal will have little impact. Fox, a member of the city-county
 Homelessness Advisory Group, said recommendations from the study included a
 minimum of $10 million in 1999-2000 to be spent on homelessness in the
 region.

       "This gesture is so small and trivial, it amounts to no gesture at
 all," he said. "What he is offering is embarrassingly small."

       Deputy Mayor Tom Byers acknowledged the mayor's action is only a
first
 step, but he argued that adding $500,000 in the middle of the year is a
 significant commitment. He said next year's target budget includes more
 money for homeless assistance.

       "We are reinvigorating ourselves, setting measurable goals," Byers
 said. "We're saying homelessness is not a foregone conclusion in America."

       Madeline Lewis, who was homeless for almost three years and now works
 as a speaker for a homeless women's forum, also challenged the mayor. She
 said city laws, such as an ordinance that forbids people to sit on
sidewalks
 and one that allows police to kick people out of parks for breaking rules,
 don't show respect for the homeless.

       "The truth is, they gave $23 million extra dollars for a parking
 garage, and they are only offering $500,000 to homeless people," Lewis
said.
 "Why aren't we worth the dollars? Even if we are the worst of the worst, it
 doesn't make us any less human."

       Susan Byrnes' phone message number is 206-464-2189. Her e-mail
address
 is: sbyrnes@seattletimes.com

       Copyright  2001 The Seattle Times Company