[Hpn] FW: Streetwise board info and attempted censorship

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:14:48 -0800

----------
From: Karilyde@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:15:28 EST
To: <SUPPRESSED>
Subject: Streetwise board info and attempted censorship

Following up on the last email sent, for those who want to contact the board
here is the info. (BELOW) Please use fax or email rather than phone. Please
stress, as before, that we're not attacking the board but asking that they
continue to take this situation seriously and fully investigate the issues
that have been brought to their attention, with a more thorough approach
than
has been indicated in their letter to supporters.
As an example of the climate of harassment and absurdity at the paper, let
me
just give a personal recent update.
Operations chief Diane Kenner, who has been in effect appointed editor in
chief despite having no journalism background at all, just demanded about
two
hours before sending the paper to press that I give her all my documents
about a story for this issue regarding Citibank and subprime lending. I did
have all the documentation for this story and sent it to her. I see this
demand as having no basis in actual journalistic concern but rather an
attempt to have an excuse not to run the story and a way to harass me and
editor Charity Crouse. Kenner has previously said that I should be phased
out
of StreetWise because of stories that put the paper at liability for being
sued because they are unsubstiantated. I challenge her to find one story
over
the past four years where I've made statements that can't be backed up by
documentation, as this Citibank story is. Kenner's actions are a blatant
attempt to censor stories she considers "corporate bashing," and to remove
reporters who are writing things that don't fit with StreetWise's goal of
forming corporate partnerships.
Incidentally, the Wall Street Journal and the Boston Globe among others have
recently covered this same story. I was also accused of writing an
unsubstantiated story in the last issue regarding a three-year strike at
Titan International. In fact, the statements I made in that story can all be
backed up by documentation from the National Labor Relations Board and OSHA.
I don't mean to make this a personal gripe session but since the editorial
staff is continuing to put the paper out under extremely stressful
conditions, we wish to inform our readers of the behind the scenes processes
that are shaping the paper they see on the street.
Thanks for your support

Executive Director ANthony Oliver
312-554-8341 or 312-554-0060
Fax: 312-554-0770