[Hpn] Where's Bush on Garrett and ADA?

Thomas Cagle nh-adapt@juno.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:12:36 -0500

                   Justice For All

                   jfa@jfanow.org

          Where's Bush on Garrett and ADA?

Jonathan Young, jonathanyoung@erols.com, writes:

Today, by a narrow 5-4 decision, the U.S. Supreme Court
ruled against the disability community in the Garrett case, opting for
a states' rights argument over the evidence of discrimination against
people with disabilities. Basically, this decision means that
individuals cannot sue states for monetary damages for employment
discrimination based on disability. The Majority opinion in this case,
as well as the vigorous Dissenting opinion, can be found at the
following website.
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/00pdf/99-1240.pdf

Although this decision was limited to Title I of the ADA, regarding
employment by States, it delivers a sobering message about the trends
of the Court to enforce States' rights at the expense of civil rights.
We can surely expect to see more lower court and, eventually, Supreme
Court decisions about the ADA.

George Bush, Sr., signed the ADA as President in 1990 and supported the
ADA in the Garrett case in a brief to the Supreme Court. Now we need to
hear from his son, President George W. Bush, with a strong statement
supporting the constitutionality of the ADA. Please contact the White
House TODAY demanding that the President come forward publicly in
support of the ADA and against further encroachments.
Information about contacting the White House follows.

--

The White House Mailing Address
The White House

The White House Phone Numbers
VOICE: 202-456-1414
TTY/TDD: 202-456-6213 Comment Line
202-395-1160 Equal Employment Opportunity Office
202-456-2121 Visitors Office
FAX: 202-456-2461

White House E-Mail Addresses
president@whitehouse.gov