[Hpn] It's not just what you say.. The State of Affairs in Brinkley

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:15:21 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C09C29.DEE1B520

Hi Gang,
I debated about passing this one on because of it's content.  I removed =
some of the letters and replaced them with asterisks as an after thought =
to posting to hpn, but my original letter contained no asterisks.  In =
real life there were none, either.
I guess you'd have to live there to get the best picture, and it's hard =
to imagine when your living in more mellow quarters and you don't see =
that type of thing going on, but I can assure you, it was no movie, and =
it was very real.  I stayed for eight months on my last pass through to =
Brinkley, Arkansas.  Then it was time to "get outta Dodge."

P.S. Arnold, I hope you don't resent me for sharing our thoughts.  =
Racism is such an important issue to me.  I would say "Right next to the =
heart", but I wouldn't be accurate.  "Right in the heart" is where the =
issue lies.  If ever you would prefer me to keep things private, just =
give me a word, and I will keep it between you and me.  Also, I am sorry =
for using the language.  I was thinking more of my experience than how =
you would feel about my using it.

*    *    *

Thanx Lucinda for the nice explanation (that you didn't owe me).  I =
don't know any answers to your wonderings.  I just figure since the =
intended end-result is so noble (helping people to read), I want to =
think the best of George W. and not assume the worst.

Arnold Zwemke

Hi Arnold,
Who cares about reading when people hate you for no good reason other =
than saying it's the color of your skin?  When they embarrass and scorn =
you, make insensitive remarks like "fu**in ni**ers" while you walk by =
with your family.  Something gets lost there.
The gist on George is that his American family history says that they =
were slave owners.  Some people believe and fear that they are a racist =
family who would just as soon treat people of color poorly, just because =
they are of color.
It made me blush when Tom emailed me telling me that the post was just =
satire (something said, done, written sarcastically).  So, I will give =
him the benefit of the doubt, too.
Sometimes I wish I had a video camera with me last time I lived in =
Arkansas. Two things I would particularly like to have captured.  One =
was a daycare I visited.  All the workers were down faced and looked in =
misery.  Not even the children smiled.  I passed that one up, not cos =
they were black, but because my little son was spirited, and he would =
never survive in an atmosphere like that.  The other thing I would like =
to have captured might be hearing the white man in my company saying =
"fuckin niggars" while there were black people walking by.  It kind of =
disturbs your day.  It could have been any number of men making such a =
remark.
My 12 year old daughter was heavy on the flirt with the cute little =
black
boys at school.  I think she did it on purpose cos grandpa made a racial =
statement that rippled through the entire family.  Grandpa retired in =
Arkansas (my father), though that's not where he raised us.. nor what he =
taught us to believe and practice.  (I.E. respect everyone, whether =
they're black, mentally handicapped, whatever).  Fear must have took his =
soul, though.  I heard a little girl call Laura (my daughter), just a =
"fu**in ni**er lover".  I heard the good old white boys come around and =
give her polite warning about even entertaining ideas that are not =
"white".  I was truly afraid that those young white racists would take =
my little Laura out, rape, and murder her, and say it's cos she liked =
them blacks.  They gave enough indication of that potential.
I might throw in one more picture.. kind of funny, of Alex.  A nice kid =
who worked at McDonald's.  Also a flirty one, but I didn't care, I let =
him
flirt.  He was sweet.  I gave him a ride home one day.  Part way through =
the ride I saw him freak out.  He was afraid of being hurt because he =
was in the car of a white woman.  I smiled and comforted him.  I told =
him "That's not the way we believe where I'm from, Alex... and you can =
ride with anyone you want and it's OK."  I rode him home twice.  The =
second time he was inabsolute terror because he thought we were being =
followed, and again his mind was on racism.
Talk to you later, Arnold.  Late picking up my daughter.
Love, Cindy

Macro Society - =93New Directions For a New Millennium.=94

Empowerment to disadvantaged families and individuals gained through =
utilizing and maximizing our skills and resources both material and =
spiritual, with the aim of improving the quality of our lives.

Our humble doorway into the future www.macro-society.com

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C09C29.DEE1B520

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Hi Gang,</DIV>
<DIV>I debated about passing this one on because of it's content.&nbsp; =
I=20
removed some of the letters and replaced them with asterisks as an after =
thought=20
to posting to hpn, but my original letter contained no asterisks.&nbsp; =
In real=20
life there were none, either.</DIV>
<DIV>I guess you'd have to live there to get the best picture, and it's =
hard to=20
imagine when your living in more mellow quarters and you don't see that =
type of=20
thing going on, but I can assure you, it was no movie, and it was very=20
real.&nbsp; I stayed for eight months on my last pass through to =
Brinkley,=20
Arkansas.&nbsp; Then it was time to "get outta Dodge."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>P.S. Arnold, I hope you don't resent me for sharing our =
thoughts.&nbsp;=20
Racism is such an important issue to me.&nbsp; I would say "Right next =
to the=20
heart", but I wouldn't be accurate.&nbsp; "Right in the heart" is where =
the=20
issue lies.&nbsp; If ever you would prefer me to keep&nbsp;things =
private, just=20
give me a word, and I will keep it between you and me.&nbsp; Also, I am =
sorry=20
for using the language.&nbsp; I was thinking more of my experience than =
how you=20
would feel about my using it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter>*&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; *&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; *</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanx Lucinda for the nice explanation (that you didn't owe =
me).&nbsp; I=20
don't know any answers to your wonderings.&nbsp; I just figure since the =

intended end-result is so noble (helping people to read), I want to =
think the=20
best of George W. and not assume the worst.<BR><BR>Arnold =
Zwemke<BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hi Arnold,<BR>Who cares about reading when people hate you for no =
good=20
reason other than saying it's the color of your skin?&nbsp; When they =
embarrass=20
and scorn you, make insensitive remarks like "fu**in ni**ers" while you =
walk by=20
with your family.&nbsp; Something gets lost there.<BR>The gist on George =
is that=20
his American family history says that they were slave owners.&nbsp; Some =
people=20
believe and fear that they are a racist family who would just as soon =
treat=20
people of color poorly, just because they are of color.<BR>It made me =
blush when=20
Tom emailed me telling me that the post was just satire (something said, =
done,=20
written sarcastically).&nbsp; So, I will give him the benefit of the =
doubt,=20
too.<BR>Sometimes I wish I had a video camera with me last time I lived =
in=20
Arkansas. Two things I would particularly like to have captured.&nbsp; =
One was a=20
daycare I visited.&nbsp; All the workers were down faced and looked in=20
misery.&nbsp; Not even the children smiled.&nbsp; I passed that one up, =
not cos=20
they were black, but because my little son was spirited, and he would =
never=20
survive in an atmosphere like that.&nbsp; The other thing I would like =
to have=20
captured might be hearing the white man in my company saying "fuckin =
niggars"=20
while there were black people walking by.&nbsp; It kind of disturbs your =

day.&nbsp; It could have been any number of men making such a =
remark.<BR>My 12=20
year old daughter was heavy on the flirt with the cute little =
black<BR>boys at=20
school.&nbsp; I think she did it on purpose cos grandpa made a racial =
statement=20
that rippled through the entire family.&nbsp; Grandpa retired in =
Arkansas (my=20
father), though that's not where he raised us.. nor what he taught us to =
believe=20
and practice.&nbsp; (I.E. respect everyone, whether they're black, =
mentally=20
handicapped, whatever).&nbsp; Fear must have took his soul, =
though.&nbsp; I=20
heard a little girl call Laura (my daughter), just a "fu**in ni**er=20
lover".&nbsp; I heard the good old white boys come around and give her =
polite=20
warning about even entertaining ideas that are not "white".&nbsp; I was =
truly=20
afraid that those young white racists would take my little Laura out, =
rape, and=20
murder her, and say it's cos she liked them blacks.&nbsp; They gave =
enough=20
indication of that potential.<BR>I might throw in one more picture.. =
kind of=20
funny, of Alex.&nbsp; A nice kid who worked at McDonald's.&nbsp; Also a =
flirty=20
one, but I didn't care, I let him<BR>flirt.&nbsp; He was sweet.&nbsp; I =
gave him=20
a ride home one day.&nbsp; Part way through the ride I saw him freak =
out.&nbsp;=20
He was afraid of being hurt because he was in the car of a white =
woman.&nbsp; I=20
smiled and comforted him.&nbsp; I told him "That's not the way we =
believe where=20
I'm from, Alex... and you can ride with anyone you want and it's =
OK."&nbsp; I=20
rode him home twice.&nbsp; The second time he was inabsolute terror =
because he=20
thought we were being followed, and again his mind was on =
racism.<BR>Talk to you=20
later, Arnold.&nbsp; Late picking up my daughter.<BR>Love, =
Cindy<BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Macro Society - =93New Directions For a New Millennium.=94</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Empowerment to disadvantaged families and individuals gained =
through=20
utilizing and maximizing our skills and resources both material and =
spiritual,=20
with the aim of improving the quality of our lives.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Our humble doorway into the future <A=20
href=3D"http://www.macro-society.com">www.macro-society.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C09C29.DEE1B520--