[Hpn] CHICAGO Fair Community Development MEETING 2-2 Wed 6:30-8:30 PM (fwd)

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:59:54 -0800 (PST)

CIRCULATE PLEASE ASAP FWD http://chicago.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=1285 by NETWORKING FOR DEMOCRACY 6:36pm Tue Feb 20 '01 phone: 773-292-4980 x 224 <AnitaNFD@aol.com> Join us for a citywide planning meeting to implement community oriented principles of development that prioritize people, keep housing costs affordable and maintain our communities. Citywide Meeting on Fair Community Development February 21, Wednesday, 6:30 - 8:30 pm Grace Place, 637 S Dearborn DEVELOPMENT FOR STABLE AND AFFORDABLE COMMUNITIES The landscape of the city is rapidly changing. Apartments and factories are being changed into condos and lofts. Large chain stores appear replacing locally owned shops. Flowers are planted and streets repaired. New luxury apartments are built while affordable housing is demolished. This development supposedly enhances and makes our communities more livable. Though does it? Development also means higher rents and higher property taxes which are forcing low and moderate income residents to move from the community. In other words the development is for those new residents who are to move in. This is not fair! Development must benefit the residents living in the community. Development for the community, not to the community. Join us for a citywide planning meeting to implement community oriented principles of development that prioritize people, keep housing costs affordable and maintain our communities. Every day we lose more affordable housing. We must act now to stop the bulldozer of development. These are our communities, our homes and we will have a say in what happens. Sponsored by the Coalition for Fair Community Development Endorsers and Sponsors: Access Living, Action Society of Albany Park, Bethel New Life, Chicago Coalition for the Homeless, Eighth Day Center for Justice, Lawyers Committee for Better Housing, Metropolitan Tenants Organization, New Northwest Neighborhood Network, Nobel Neighbors, Queer to the Left, South Chicago Neighborhood Housing Collaboration, 47th Ward Organization Child care provided / Wheelchair Accessible For more information call 773-292-4980 x 224 END FORWARD http://chicago.indymedia.org/ Independent Media Center content is COPYRIGHT-FREE to nongovernment & noncommercial outlets: Visit HPN for CONSTANTLY UPDATING NEWS on Homeless People: *************************************************************** Over 10,000 articles by or via homeless & ex-homeless people Been Homeless? Then JOIN! EMAIL Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net> Nothing About Us Without Us - Democratize Public Policy ***************************************************************