[Hpn] Fwd: comment on welfare reform? + [ACLU] Action Alert : Austin Police Reform Gutted

john macpherson nyceguy50@yahoo.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:40:04 -0800 (PST)

--Boundary_(ID_lFdpmYKo5YKZPEuX80rkIw)

On the issue of single mothers and welfare reform they
hold a weak point.  The greater issue should be the
types of employment that these mothers would get is
far below the cost of living.
There for the mothers are better off making the babies
in a form of job security till there middle age.
However this statement is now antiquated as the truth
to it held thirty years prior to Reagan years. The
welfare reform package that was introduced under
Reagan generated the initial influx of the homeless in
America in over forty years many people are held in
this vicious cycle If a person gives up there benefits
that they have spent years to ascertain there worse
off than while having them as attractive as work often
appears.
Should I return to work as in a paycheck I need to
get:
these figures are comparative for what it currently
costs me as a panhandler vs employment as a disabled
person.

housing,        0  MO.   0  660 + = 660 month
medical,       16   "   16  130 + = 790  "
electric,       58   "   74  110 + = 900  "
transportation, 1   "   75  240 + =1150  "
education,     35   "  110  200 + =1390  "
clothing,       1   "  111   60 + =1450  "
entertainment,  3   "  114   40 + =1490  "
Food,           5   "  119  180 + =1570  "

For me to work I need to receive after tax 1540 per
month take home. This translates to $18.00 per hour on
the books at a 40 hours per week. Because of the tax
rate. Expectations and added expenses I need to
anticipate ware and tare on my body and property to
increase as well we need to add 15%.
Am I in that trap that single parents have with
welfare?  Would I do better if I am pressured into
getting SSI or SSDI? Or should I comply with the
directives of the interviewer the last time that I
went for Lone Star Debit card (Food Stamps)? Take my
medical form to the family planning clinic to be
filled out? (I wish)

The attachment is about our police from ACLU Central
Texas and some of my thoughts.
Note: forwarded message attached.

--Boundary_(ID_lFdpmYKo5YKZPEuX80rkIw)