[Hpn] Social Justice E-Zine #42

Kim or Ray Goforth goforth86@home.com
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:58:41 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_wrO2GEcVWfivn4RBEwGLcA)

                     ***********
                        ***
                         *

" I have often asked myself why human beings have any rights at all. I always
come  to the conclusion that human rights, human freedoms, and human
dignity have their  deepest roots somewhere outside the perceptible world.
These values are as  powerful as they are because, under certain circumstances,
people accept them without compulsion and are willing to die for them."
 Vaclav Havel

                  SOCIAL JUSTICE #42
                   February 17, 2001
                      Kim Goforth
                      Ray Goforth

IN THIS ISSUE:

1) CHILEAN AIR FORCE OFFICIAL ACCUSED OF TORTURE

2) WOMEN BUILDING PEACE: FROM THE VILLAGE COUNCIL TO
THE NEGOTIATING TABLE

3) NEW SOCIAL JUSTICE ONLINE DISCUSSION GROUP

4) NIKE: FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

Welcome to the latest issue of SOCIAL JUSTICE E-ZINE. The
name Social Justice encompasses the struggles of people
everywhere who work for gender equality, democratic government,
economic opportunity, intellectual freedom, environmental
protection, and human rights.

Social Justice is an electronic magazine (e-zine) designed for
free distribution through the internet. SJ now reaches
approximately 10,000 e-mail recipients in eight dozen
countries. Stories from SJ are then broadcast on radio stations
throughout the world. Feel free to make copies and share with
friends (or enemies). Think of this as a regular magazine without
the recycling. If there's nothing you want to read in this issue,
just hit delete.

Those wishing to be added to the subscription list (or
conversely, those who want off the list) should write to us at:

sjzine@netscape.net
http://members.tripod.com/~goforth/socialjustice.html

CHILEAN AIR FORCE OFFICIAL ACCUSED OF TORTURE

(New York, February 14, 2001) -- Human Rights Watch today called on
Chilean President Ricardo Lagos to immediately suspend from duty the acting
chief of Chile s air force, Gen. Hern n Gabrielli Rojas, following credible
allegations that he participated in the torture of political detainees following the
September1973 military coup. Human Rights Watch urged the Chilean
government to make itself party to the case against Gabrielli.

Three former political detainees, who had been held in the Cerro Moreno air
base in the northern city of Antofagasta in the days immediately following the
coup, recently made important allegations implicating Gabrielli in serious
human rights crimes. According to their account, Gabrielli, then a lieutenant,
was responsible for beating another detainee, Eugenio Ruiz-Tagle Orrego, and
 participating in a mock execution in which they were all victims. After
suffering brutal torture, Ruiz-Tagle was executed on October 19, 1973, by a
military death squad known as the "Caravan of Death."

 "These charges are extremely serious, and must be investigated thoroughly
and impartially," said Jos‚ Miguel Vivanco, executive director of Human
Rights Watch s Americas division. Vivanco said that a lawsuit against Gabrielli
is being prepared by relatives of Ruiz-Tagle, and urged the government of
Chile to make itself a party to the investigation.

 On February 7, the electronic newspaper El Mostrador released some hitherto
unpublished documents indicating that former dictator Augusto Pinochet, now
on trial for ordering the Caravan of Death executions, was informed of
Ruiz-Tagle's execution. Pinochet reportedly tried to stall an official
investigation by claiming that there were serious charges against Ruiz-Tagle
and that he had not been tortured. Ruiz-Tagle's relatives cited a witness, Carlos
Blau, an accountant, who allegedly saw Ruiz-Tagle being beaten by Gabrielli.
That account was later confirmed by two other witnesses, Juan Ruz, currently
an Education Ministry official, and Hector Vera, an academic.

 Human Rights Watch expressed grave concern at reports that General
Gabrielli has filed a lawsuit against the three witnesses under Article 6(b) of the
Law of State Security. This law prohibits defamation of top government
officials, including the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, and punishes
offenders with up to five years' imprisonment. Targets of Article 6(b)
 prosecutions can be convicted even if they can prove the truth of their
accusations. The law has been condemned by the Organization of American
States for violating Article 13 of the American Convention on Human Rights,
which protects freedom of expression. In mid-1999 the Lagos government
promised to repeal the law, but reform legislation has been blocked in
Congress.

 "Obviously the armed forces, which have been under criticism since their
report on the 'disappeared' was poorly received in Chile, are hitting back
against their critics," said Vivanco. "The world is waiting for President Lagos
to take a clear and uncompromising stand in favor of accountability, justice and
free speech."

HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH
11500 W. Olympic Blvd., Suite 445, Los Angeles, CA 90064 USA
Tel:1-(310) 477-5540, Fax: (310) 477-4622
hrwla@hrw.org
www.hrw.org

WOMEN BUILDING PEACE: FROM THE VILLAGE COUNCIL TO THE
NEGOTIATING TABLE

Why a Campaign on Women and Peacebuilding?

More and more women are caught at the centre of violent conflict.  In ethnic,
religious and identity wars, women are becoming the direct and deliberate
victims of sexual assault and rape. They are the indirect victims of warfare,
and economic violence.

But women are not just victims. Women have taken the initiative to reach
across the conflict divide and seek peace. In Mali and Liberia, they joined
together collect up arms. In Northern Ireland Catholic and Protestant
women ran practical community projects together, while raising awareness,
building trust, and changing attitudes in favour of peace.

However, little is done to protect their rights, or to ensure that they have equal
access to political, economic and social resources. Time and again, when it
comes to peace deals and high level negotiations, women are excluded and
marginalised. Their efforts are rendered invisible. They are neglected and
disempowered. This campaign aims to change and transform this status quo.

Purpose of the Campaign:

The campaign aims to raise global awareness of women's experiences and
perspectives of peace and conflict, and to help women better realise their
potential as peace-builders from the village to the national level.  It seeks to
affect the policy of international agencies and strives for a greater commitment
to gender considerations in peacebuilding and conflict transformation.  It also
aims to include women on all levels of peace processes.

Campaign Themes:

  1) Increase the participation of women in peacemaking and peacebuilding as
decision-makers;
  2) Put women at the heart of post-conflict rehabilitation and reconciliation
programmes;
  3) Strengthen the protection and representation of refugee and displaced
women;
  4) End impunity for crimes committed against women and ensure redress;
  5) Give women's organisations the support and resources they need to build
peace.

The campaign focuses on 2 key processes:

Awareness-raising, consisting of:-
  ·  The Presentation of 250,000 signatures to UN Secretary General Kofi
Annan
  ·  The Launch of the Millennium Peace Prize for Women

  Policy Process, targeting:-
  ·  The UN Security Council
  ·  The European Union

How to get involved:

A Campaign Pack containing a CD-Rom, policy documents on women and
peacebuilding can be obtained from the Campaign Secretariat.  If you would
like to get involved and receive a campaign pack, please contact us at:

Women Building Peace Campaign International Alert
1 Glyn Street, London SE11 5HT, United Kingdom
Email: gendercampaign@international-alert.org
Tel: +44 20 7793 8383; Fax: +44 20 7793 7975

NEW SOCIAL JUSTICE ONLINE DISCUSSION GROUP

A new discussion list for progressive/left politics from a Catholic
perspective (social justice/civil rights/human rights/immigration, labor
and environment, etc.) is starting and looking for participants.  It will be
U.S.-based site, but won't be limited to U.S. politics. International contributors
welcome. To Sign-Up Send Blank E-Mail to:

cathgroup-subscribe@egroups.com.

NOTE: Not Affiliated with Social Justice E-Zine.

NIKE: FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

Nike now lets you personalize your shoes by submitting a word or
phrase which they will stitch onto your shoes, under the swoosh. So
Jonah Peretti filled out the form and sent them $50 to stitch
"SWEATSHOP" on to his shoes.

The following is a series of e-mails he got in response to his request:

> [...]
>> Subject: RE: Your NIKE iD order o16468000
>>
>> Dear NIKE iD,
>>
>> Thank you for your quick response to my inquiry about my custom ZOOM
>> XC USA running shoes. Although I commend you for your
>> prompt customer service, I disagree with the claim that my personal iD
>> was inappropriate slang. After consulting Webster's Dictionary, I
>> discovered that "sweatshop" is in fact part of standard English, and not
>> slang.
>>
>> The word means: "a shop or factory in which workers are employed for
>> long hours at low wages and under unhealthy conditions" and its
>> origin dates from 1892. So my personal iD does meet the criteria
>> detailed in your first email.
>>
>> Your web site advertises that the NIKE iD program is "about freedom
>> to choose and freedom to express who you are." I share Nike's love
>> of freedom and personal expression. The site also says that "If you
>> want it done right...build it yourself." I was thrilled to be able
>> to build my own shoes, and my personal iD was offered as a small token
>> of appreciation for the sweatshop workers poised to help me realize my
>> vision. I hope that you will value my freedom of expression
>> and reconsider your decision to reject my order.
>>
>> Thank you, Jonah Peretti
>>
>> From: "Personalize, NIKE iD" nikeid_personalize@nike.com
>> To: "'Jonah H. Peretti'" peretti@media.mit.edu
>> Subject: RE: Your NIKE iD order o16468000
>>
>> Dear NIKE iD Customer,
>>
>> Regarding the rules for personalization it also states on the NIKE iD
>> web site that "Nike reserves the right to cancel any personal iD up
>> to 24 hours after it has been submitted". In addition, it
>> further explains: "While we honor most personal iDs, we cannot honor
>> every one. Some may be (or contain) other's trademarks, or the names of
>> certain professional sports teams, athletes or celebrities that Nike does
>> not
>> have the right to use. Others may contain material that we
>> consider inappropriate or simply do not want to place on our products.
>>
>> Unfortunately, at times this obliges us to decline personal iDs that
>> may otherwise seem unobjectionable. In any event, we will let you
>> know if we decline your personal iD, and we will offer you the chance
>> to submit another." With these rules in mind, we cannot accept
>> your order as submitted. If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD
>> product with a new personalization please visit us again at
>> www.nike.com
>>
>> Thank you, NIKE iD
>>
>> From: "Jonah H. Peretti" peretti@media.mit.edu
>> To: "Personalize, NIKE iD" nikeid_personalize@nike.com
>> Subject: RE: Your NIKE iD order o16468000
>>
>> Dear NIKE iD,
>>
>> Thank you for the time and energy you have spent on my request. I
>> have decided to order the shoes with a different iD, but I would like
>> to make one small request. Could you please send me a color snapshot of
>> the ten-year-old Vietnamese girl who makes my shoes?

For those who have inquired: Ray and Kim Goforth hold
undergraduate degrees in political-economy from The Evergreen
State College and law degrees (juris doctor) from the University
of Washington. Ray works for a labor union and Kim advocates for
victims of domestic violence. Kim and Ray are active in a wide
variety of progressive causes and live a happy life in Seattle,
Washington USA.

                           *
                          ***

--Boundary_(ID_wrO2GEcVWfivn4RBEwGLcA)--