[Hpn] STREETWISE RESUMES PRODUCTION AFTER EDITORS RETURN TO WORK

Sat, 10 Feb 2001 17:26:38 -0700

http://chicagotribune.com/news/metro/chicago/article/0,2669,SAV-0102090491,F
F.html

STREETWISE RESUMES PRODUCTION AFTER EDITORS RETURN TO WORK

By Kim Barker
Tribune Staff Writer
February 9, 2001

Next week's edition of StreetWise, the newspaper that aims to help homeless
people make money, is scheduled to come out on time after editorial staff
members returned to work Thursday.

The newspaper, sold by poor and homeless people on street corners for $1,
has been embroiled in a dispute since January, when Editor Jalyne Strong was
fired after complaining about newspaper management to the board of
directors.

On Monday, the dispute escalated when other staff members sent a letter to
the board asking for the removal of Executive Director Anthony Oliver and
complaining about poor management, exploitative labor practices and low
morale.

When Charity Crouse, the new editor, and Production Manager Allan Gomez came
in for work Tuesday, they were sent home by management. Associate Editor
Kari Lydersen and Commentary Editor John Wilson said they were fired
Wednesday.

But on Wednesday night, those staff members were called back to work.

John Ellis, a former editor of the paper, returned to StreetWise as a
consultant to help put out next week's edition.

If the newspaper isn't ready to go Monday as usual, the vendors will suffer.
They pay 35 cents for each newspaper and keep the profit. On average, a
StreetWise vendor makes $400 a month.

"We're trying to get the paper out on time for our vendors," Oliver said.
"That's the most important part."

The editorial staff is scheduled to meet with the newspaper board's
executive committee Monday to hash out the dispute.

On Thursday, staff members said they were happy to go back to work.

"We want to make sure there's a paper out there," said Wilson, adding that
staff members have been assured that they will have jobs until Monday,
pending the outcome of the meeting. "We think StreetWise is important enough
to give the board a chance to act."