[Hpn] more poison from NAMI

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:15:18 -0800 (PST)

SpiderLady <Aariadne@interactive.rogers.com>, thanks for posting your reply
to chance martin's post about National Alliance for the mentally Ill (NAMI).

NAMI has brought attention to the need for housing and the problem of
police killing of psychiatrically labeled homeless people.  I wish
patient's rights groups knew as well as NAMI how to "build coalitions". But
NAMI is also a dupe for _involuntary_ medication and mental hospitalization.

It needs to remain a "personal choice" whether one needs healing and how
and from whom to seek it.  The pill-pushers who would "institutionalize the
different" have "stolen sole claim" to the right to practice healing arts.
As usual, it's partly about who gets paid to "oversee" who.

In a society of "peers", how would "healing from emotional stress" occur?

{Go ahead: Flame my assumptions, but please respect my intentions.)

What a fine quote below!  Where's it from, Aariadne? -- Tom (HPN listworker)

>Goddess grant me the stubborness to resist the things I cannot change;
>the laziness to accept the things I can, and enough wine and beer to
>endlessly debate the difference between the two.

Visit HPN for CONSTANTLY UPDATING NEWS on Homeless People:

Over 10,000 articles by or via homeless & ex-homeless people
Been Homeless? Then JOIN! EMAIL Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net>