[Hpn] Nominations Sought for Buddy Gray Award for Homeless Activism

H. C. (Sonny) Covington icanamerica@msn.com
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:16:23 -0500

What do you'all think about choosing one or more folks from our HPN family to
nominate to NCH for this award?  Like Tom in Boston, Kat in Rhode Island,
Sandy in AZ, Virginia in WY, or others..............see below.

Sonny

Nominations Sought for Buddy Gray Award for Homeless Activism

This annual award is given to an individual or group who has been most
effective in advocating on behalf of people who are homeless or living in
poverty. The individual or group must have been involved in advocacy work for
at least five years.

The award is named after Buddy Gray who from the early 1970's until his
untimely death in 1996, worked with low income and homeless people in the
Over-the-Rhine area in Cincinnati.

He developed a number of non-profit organizations focusing on emergency
shelter, supportive services and permanent housing. He was always the one
person you could count on to stand up for the rights of low income people in
conservative Cincinnati.

He also served as a mentor to a host of homeless/formerly homeless people, as
well as high school and college students. Many of the people he once mentored
are now carrying on his legacy in Cincinnati and elsewhere.

He was a founding board member of the National Coalition for the Homeless and
his influence on the organization continues to be felt. We will give out this
national award at our spring 2001 board meeting in Washington, DC.

Please take the time to nominate an individual or group you believe meets the
criteria for the Buddy Gray Award for Homeless Activism. Self-nominations are
allowed.

Deadline: March 15, 2001 (postmarked)

The recipient will receive a plaque, $100 honorarium, and travel expenses to
attend the award ceremony in DC.

Send a cover letter along with supporting documentation (e.g. news
clippings)to:

National Coalition for the Homeless
Attn: Michael Stoops
1012 14th St., NW; #600
Washington, DC 20005-3471
Fax: 202-737-6445
Email: micstoops@aol.com

Please address the following in your cover letter:
1. Why is this individual or group being nominated for the Buddy Gray Award?
2. How does this individual or group exemplify the work and legacy of Buddy
Gray?