[Hpn] Re: [nhhomeless] Homeless woman SUES Oklahoma County over illegal jailing (fwd)

Joseph S Haas josephhaas153@hotmail.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 16:58:44 -0500

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Note: this be a Reply All, withOUT the address (so-called) "N", nor Am, nor Street, Newspaper, Assn or list between the various commas ","'s that the computer read as addresses, to see in the original. [just after the HPN].<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>If this had happened in New Hampshire, here's what should have transpired: First a letter to the State Dept. of Labor to investigate should have been sent for being put to involuntary servitude against the 13th Amendment, and IF NOT corrected by investigation "prompt"ly by Article 14, N.H. Const. (prompt=withOUT delay, delay= postpone, post= after, pone= meal, and so within 8 hrs.for the breakfast, lunch and dinner senario), then to file suit against that State agency in the State Board of Claims thru the Secretary of State's office forms there, and using Attny Andu Volinsky's mid 1980s case of Veronica Silva similarly put in jail even though her probation officer knew of her NEW address but failed to update the computer, then her $2,500/day for 10 days to the $25,000 maximum at that time, goes to $50,000 now or $5,000 per day the going rate for such violations, then 3 weeks = 21 days rounded down to 20 for no action after notification = $100,000, half thru the Bd. of Claims, and the other half thru an Article 32, Petition for Redress of Wrongs to the General Court (note: several of them are there just collecting dust over at the House Speaker's Office since Money Bills start in the House currently working on Petition RULES in the Rules Committee I've been told) .&nbsp; And with interest @ ___% per annum just like in the inferior courts, with current H.B. #140 dealing with this from the time of filing and not just the delayed judgment.&nbsp; Yours truly, Joe Haas, P. O. Box 218, Ashland, N.H. 03217 cc: Rep./Attny James W. Craig for Judiciary (but with no e-mail) re: this interest factor; vote of 17:1 to pass at page 151 of the Vol. 23, No. 14 House Calendar (blue cover), see also the State's Main web site of http: // www. state.nh.us (seperated here for posting to the group, but to combine to get there).</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Tom Boland <WGCP@EARTHLINK.NET>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: nhhomeless@yahoogroups.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK list" <HPN@LISTS.IS.ASU.EDU>, "N. Am. Street Newspaper Assn. list":;, Food Not Bombs list <FNB-L@TAO.CA>, National Law Center on Homelessness &amp; Poverty <INFO@NLCHP.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;CC: "National Coalition for the Homeless" <NCH@ARI.NET>, "Kensington Welfare Rights Union" <KWRU@LIBERTYNET.ORG>, "Homeless United for Friendship &amp; Freedom" <WMNOFSTL@CRUZIO.COM>, "Ted Hayes of LA Dome Village" <HOMELESS@AOL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [nhhomeless] Homeless woman SUES Oklahoma County over illegal jailing (fwd)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 07:54:57 -0800 (PST)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;HPN Homeless Newswire - BOOKMARK
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.oklahoman.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=634882&amp;pic=none&amp;TP=getarticle
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;FWD Oklahoman / 2001-02-07
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;HOMELESS WOMAN SUES COUNTY AFTER STAY IN JAIL
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;By Diana Baldwin - Staff Writer
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;A homeless woman whom a judge ruled had been held illegally in the Oklahoma
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;County jail filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against the county
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;commissioners and Sheriff John Whetsel.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Chris Ann Knudsen, 40, claims her constitutional rights were violated when
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;she was in custody for 3 weeks without formal charges being filed,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Kingfisher attorney Daniel Stake said. She was released last week.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;In addition to asking for more than $1 million in damages, Stake wants a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;permanent injunction forcing Oklahoma County to change policies and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;procedures so other inmates' rights will not be violated.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Stake said other defendants and released inmates may be added to the lawsuit.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Knudsen's release came during an eight-day period in which at least 75
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;other inmates were ordered released after spending 14 days or more in jail
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;without state criminal charges being filed.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The 14-day release policy has been in place for seven years.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Bob Ravitz, a public defender, is campaigning for the court to adopt a rule
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;that would allow inmates to be held only five days without charges.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Presiding Administrative Judge Niles Jackson, First Assistant District
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Attorney John Jacobsen and Ravitz are expected to meet this week.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"We are working with the public defender and the district attorney to find
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;out if a problem exists and where it is and resolve it as quickly as we
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;can," Jackson said.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;District Judge Jerry Bass ruled Jan. 30 that Knudsen was held illegally and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ordered her immediate release.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"The system failed my client miserably and it set me on fire," Stake said.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"Frankly, I think Chris Ann Knudsen is the tip of the iceberg. Her
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;situation is simply an indicator of a much larger problem."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Jacobsen, legal adviser for the county, refused to comment on the lawsuit.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"Not having seen the lawsuit, we have no comment on that," Jacobsen said.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"We'll respond accordingly to the deadlines imposed by the court."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Knudsen was arrested without a warrant on Jan. 6 by Oklahoma City police on
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;drug complaints. Charges were filed Jan. 25 in Canadian County because she
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;was arrested in the Oklahoma City limits inside Canadian County. Bass said
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;a warrant for Knudsen's arrest was never issued.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Oklahoma City Police Capt. Jessica Cummins said part of the delay resulted
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;when Knudsen's paperwork was taken first to Oklahoma County and approved by
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;an assistant district attorney before officials discovered the charges
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;should be filed in Canadian County.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"It was a human error and not an intentional deal," Cummins said. "There
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;also was a delay from our detectives taking the information to Canadian
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;County and charges actually being formally filed."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Stake said he tried to resolve the matter informally by going to the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Oklahoma County district attorney's office.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"They said if I had trouble with the way a client was treated in the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Oklahoma County Detention Center, sue us. I didn't just go down and file
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;this lawsuit without trying to resolve it. They basically invited me to sue
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;them."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;END FORWARD
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;distributed without charge or profit to those who have expressed a prior
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;interest in receiving this type of information for non-profit research and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;educational purposes only.**
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Visit HPN for CONSTANTLY UPDATING NEWS on Homeless People:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;***************************************************************
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK list Info
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Over 10,000 articles by or via homeless &amp; ex-homeless people
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Open ARCHIVES
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Been Homeless? Then JOIN! EMAIL Tom Boland <WGCP@EARTHLINK.NET>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Nothing About Us Without Us - Democratize Public Policy
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;***************************************************************