[Hpn] Would you take a pay cut to end homelessness in your country?

Wed, 07 Feb 2001 18:31:27 -0700

I just went from 20 hrs/wk to full-time employment here at the good ol'
COH-SF. It sure felt mighty fine when I went to the Social Security office
to stop my disability payments -- I told the guy I spoke to that I'd see him
when I turn 65... maybe.

I'm also very aware of the fact that less than 1 in 10 folks with "severe
mental illness" like me (for those of you who have had doubts, yes I'm
certified) ever return to full employment. I fought very hard to become a
wage-slave and taxpayer.

I'd do this job for lunch money if it would end homelessness. But what would
that entail?

1) the right to housing

2) the right to quality universal healthcare

3) the right to quality life-long education

4) the right to meaningful employment

There are countries where this is a reality, and their taxes are high, but
their standard of living is much better than here. So I'm sold, but how do
we get the Bill Gateses of this country to sign on?

peace,

chance

--
chance martin, editor