[Hpn] Funding Uses by Faith Based Organizations - ENERGY, THE INVESTMENT OF THE FUTURE

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:25:19 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C0901E.B92FA560

1.  Tents?  Sleeping bags?  Coleman Stoves?  New socks?
2.  Food?  Hygiene products?  Clothing vouchers?
3.  Computers for the low income homed?  (Now, how is that essential to =
living)

ENERGY, THE INVESTMENT OF THE FUTURE

By Lucinda Houston

OK, let's bottom line this.  Our energy costs are consuming us.  =
Investment in ways that save our energy help us and our environment.

My rent's not so bad, but my electric bill is killer.  (Imagine someone =
with killer rent and electricity).  Somebody needs to create "Church =
Solar", a church that invests in energy efficiency with its "funds".

Now, I live in a rather "hep" State.  The Electric Company that services =
Eugene, Oregon has come up with a couple programs that invest in saving =
energy (for low income residents!)  At two places I lived, they came and =
installed (free of cost) aerators and shower heads that spare water, =
saving water and electricity.  I bought an aerator for the place I'm in, =
but the cheap (almost $4.00) plastic thing stripped right off the bat, =
and didn't have a good connection from the start.  I don't like throwing =
away money, but I made the effort to install this regardless.  The =
Electric Company also came into a building I once lived in and thermally =
insulated it, replacing aluminum with PVC plastic and new weather =
stripping.  The owners didn't have to pay (or paid a nominal amount, if =
anything) because the majority of residents were low income.  If you're =
low income, regardless of where you live/rent/own you are entitled to =
this as long as the owner permits.  Now, in my dreams, I would own (and =
use) the most energy efficient washer and dryer on the market.  Ditto =
with refrigerator and stove.  Not to mention the water heater.  I would =
also benefit from having my home thermally insulated, and having good =
working aerators and water-saving shower heads.  They do the job just =
fine.  Even though we don't get a great deal of sun around here as =
opposed to Arizona where I'm from, a solar panel attached to my electric =
system wouldn't hurt.  It would collect some amount of energy that could =
be utilized and is not generated from the Electric Company.  (What would =
the savings amount to multiplied by the amount of users).  Geez, I can't =
leave out converting my conventional lighting into modern fluorescent.  =
I would probably cut my bills in half or more with all these things in =
place.

They cost too much to produce?  Solar panels?  Then plant a tiny little =
company in my little town that hires at least 50% poor and low income =
individuals to manufacture and install them in low income households.  =
With "Jobs", like workfare, individuals have to do some kind of work =
such as community service/volunteering for at least 30 hours per week if =
they want to continue receiving food stamps.  Why not be "work smart" =
and utilize this energy for producing something that benefits us all in =
the long run?  Whether it's living wage jobs or a part time volunteering =
effort for food stamps, what good can we produce with this "people =
energy"?  In the long run, it might be best to invest in an energy =
saving future.  What do you think?

Geez- a euphemism for "Jesus"

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C0901E.B92FA560

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>1.&nbsp; Tents?  </FONT><FONT size=3D2>Sleeping =
bags?&nbsp;=20
Coleman Stoves?&nbsp; New socks?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>2.&nbsp; Food?&nbsp; Hygiene products?&nbsp; =
Clothing=20
vouchers?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>3.&nbsp; Computers for the low income homed?&nbsp; =
(Now, how=20
is that essential to living)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>ENERGY, THE INVESTMENT OF THE FUTURE</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>By Lucinda Houston</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>OK, let's bottom line this.&nbsp; Our energy costs =
are=20
consuming us.&nbsp; Investment in ways that save our energy help us and =
our=20
environment.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My rent's not so bad, but my electric bill is =
killer.&nbsp;=20
(Imagine someone with killer rent and electricity).&nbsp; Somebody needs =
to=20
create "Church Solar", a church that invests in energy efficiency with =
its=20
"funds"</FONT><FONT size=3D2>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Now, I live in a rather "hep" State.&nbsp; The =
Electric=20
Company that services Eugene, Oregon has come up with a couple programs =
that=20
invest in saving energy (for low income residents!)&nbsp; At two places =
I lived,=20
they came and installed (free of cost) aerators and shower heads that =
spare=20
water, saving water and electricity.&nbsp;&nbsp;I bought&nbsp;an aerator =
for the=20
place I'm in, but the cheap (almost $4.00) plastic thing stripped right =
off the=20
bat, and didn't have a good connection from the start.&nbsp; I don't =
like=20
throwing away money, but I made the effort to install this =
regardless.&nbsp; The=20
Electric Company also came into a building I once lived in and thermally =

insulated it, replacing aluminum with PVC plastic and new weather=20
stripping.&nbsp; The owners didn't have to pay (or paid a nominal =
amount, if=20
anything) because the majority of&nbsp;residents were low income.&nbsp; =
If=20
you're low income, regardless of where you live/rent/own you&nbsp;are =
entitled=20
to this as long as the owner permits.&nbsp; Now, in my dreams, I would =
own (and=20
use) the most energy efficient washer and dryer on the market.&nbsp; =
Ditto with=20
refrigerator and stove.&nbsp; Not to mention the water heater.&nbsp; I =
would=20
also benefit from having my home thermally insulated, and having good =
working=20
aerators and water-saving shower heads.&nbsp; They do the job just =
fine.&nbsp;=20
Even though we don't get a great deal of sun around here as opposed to =
Arizona=20
where I'm from, a solar panel attached to my electric system wouldn't=20
hurt.&nbsp; It&nbsp;would&nbsp;</FONT><FONT size=3D2>collect some amount =
of energy=20
that could be utilized and&nbsp;is not generated from the Electric=20
Company.&nbsp; (What would the savings amount to multiplied by the =
amount of=20
users).&nbsp; Geez, I can't leave out converting my conventional =
lighting into=20
modern fluorescent.&nbsp; I would probably cut my bills in half or more =
with all=20
these things in place.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>They cost too much to produce?&nbsp; Solar =
panels?&nbsp; Then=20
plant a tiny little company in my little town that hires at least 50% =
poor and=20
low income individuals to manufacture and install them in low income=20
households.&nbsp; With "Jobs", like workfare, individuals have to do =
some kind=20
of work such as community service/volunteering for at least 30 hours per =
week if=20
they want to continue receiving food stamps.&nbsp; Why not be "work =
smart" and=20
utilize this energy for producing something that benefits us all in the =
long=20
run?&nbsp; Whether it's living wage jobs or a part time volunteering =
effort for=20
food stamps, what good can we produce with this "people energy"?&nbsp; =
In the=20
long run, it might be best to invest in&nbsp;an energy saving =
future.&nbsp; What=20
do you think?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Geez- a euphemism for =
"Jesus"</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C0901E.B92FA560--