[Hpn] The State of Being Homeless

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:32:40 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C08FCB.EE943FC0

I am opposed to the state of homelessness.  It adds pounds of stress and =
pressure and is difficult if not impossible to organize and is =
definitely not comfortable even with the best of service organizations.  =
It weakened me, even with the "nice guys".  We were always on the roll, =
on the move.  I thank God that I found some nice guys though, it was =
relieving.  (Saved my life, too.)

I wasn't sure that what I read here was encouraging:

"Bush had earlier announced that he supports use of Sec. 8 rental =
vouchers to=20
fund homeownership.  He proposed providing an additional $1 billion of=20
matching grants over five years to help low income families who do not=20
benefit from Sec. 8 to fund the down payment and closing costs on a new=20
home."

What was meant by "to help low income families who do not benefit from =
Sec. 8.." "..to fund the down payment and closing costs on a new home".  =
If you have section 8 and you are renting, does that mean you are =
benefiting from Sec. 8 and ineligible for help to fund the down payment =
and closing costs?  Or does it mean that it will also benefit those who =
are not in the Sec. 8 program but that are low income and in need of =
that kind of assistance in buying a home?

I don't know, but it sounds hopeful to me.  I get mighty tired of moving =
around.  It is expensive and wearing.  The kids do better when settled, =
too.  They are healthier and happier.  I want a choice as to where I =
might light, but I relish the idea of being the owner/manager of my own =
home and ground.

It's not encompassing and doesn't address our singles living out there =
in the cold, but it is a positive step in the right direction.  Home =
ownership would prevent a lot of homelessness.  It would remove hassles =
between a tenant and an owner/manager.  Relationships can break down, =
and other things (owner had to sell, change of hands with property =
management, I.E. a new set of people/personalities and "people games") =
that can (and are over all likely to) make renting an unstable, =
unsettling affair.  It's nice to rest for two years.. but must I move =
(on) again?

I think some people could use a little more help, like learning how to =
fix things, and how to surface clean.  Perhaps organizations such as the =
one I'm busy with could help with that.  Not only making resources =
available (E.G. a vacuum or steam cleaner when needed) but information =
that is helpful.  People can take it or leave it, but it should be =
available to them, if possible.

I like learning and I like helpful tools.  Gee, just by having people =
here doing taxes, I learned things I didn't know.  When I was moving my =
mouse and clicking on each box to insert information, I was told I could =
just use the "tab" key.  It forwarded my, uh, whatchamacallit to each =
new box without my having to move the mouse.  I also learned that when I =
go to select the State I live in, instead of scrolling down all the way =
I can just type "O", as in Oregon, and it will automatically skip to the =
"O's" and I save time in scrolling.  Two different people taught me =
those tricks.  Cool, huh?  I bet ya knew it already.

Later Alligators,

Lucinda

------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C08FCB.EE943FC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I am opposed to the state of homelessness.&nbsp; It =
adds=20
pounds of stress and pressure and is difficult if not impossible to =
organize and=20
is definitely not comfortable even&nbsp;with the best of service=20
organizations.&nbsp; It weakened me, even with the "nice guys".&nbsp; We =
were=20
always on the roll, on the&nbsp;move.&nbsp; I thank God that I found =
some nice=20
guys though,&nbsp;it was relieving.&nbsp; (Saved my life, =
too.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I wasn't sure that what I read here was=20
encouraging:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>"Bush had earlier announced that he supports use of =
Sec. 8=20
rental vouchers to <BR>fund homeownership.&nbsp; He proposed providing =
an=20
additional $1 billion of <BR>matching grants over five years to help low =
income=20
families who do not <BR>benefit from Sec. 8 to fund the down payment and =
closing=20
costs on a new <BR>home."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>What was meant by "to help low income families who =
do not=20
benefit from Sec. 8.." "..to fund the down payment and closing costs on =
a new=20
home".&nbsp; If you have section 8 and you are renting, does that mean =
you are=20
benefiting from Sec. 8 and ineligible for help to fund the down payment =
and=20
closing costs?&nbsp; Or does it mean that it will also benefit those who =
are not=20
in the Sec. 8 program but that are low income and in need of that kind =
of=20
assistance in buying a home?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I don't know, but it sounds hopeful to me.&nbsp; I =
get mighty=20
tired of moving around.&nbsp; It is expensive and wearing.&nbsp; The =
kids do=20
better when settled, too.&nbsp; They are healthier and happier.&nbsp; I =
want a=20
choice as to where I might light, but I relish the idea of =
being&nbsp;the=20
owner/manager of my own home and ground.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It's not encompassing and doesn't address our =
singles living=20
out there in the cold, but it is a positive step in the right =
direction.&nbsp;=20
Home ownership would&nbsp;prevent a lot of homelessness.&nbsp; It would =
remove=20
hassles between a tenant and an owner/manager.&nbsp; Relationships can =
break=20
down, and other things (owner had to sell, change of hands with property =

management, I.E. a new set of people/personalities and "people games") =
that can=20
(and are over all likely to) make renting an unstable, unsettling =
affair.&nbsp;=20
It's nice to rest for two years.. but must I move (on) =
again?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I think some people could use a little more help, =
like=20
learning how to fix things, and how to surface clean.&nbsp; Perhaps=20
organizations such as the one I'm busy with could help with that.&nbsp; =
Not only=20
making resources available (E.G. a vacuum or steam cleaner when needed) =
but=20
information that is helpful.&nbsp; People can take it or leave it, but =
it should=20
be available to them, if possible.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I like learning and I like helpful tools.&nbsp; Gee, =
just by=20
having people here doing taxes, I learned things I didn't know.&nbsp; =
When I was=20
moving my mouse and clicking on each box to insert information, I was =
told I=20
could just use the "tab" key.&nbsp; It forwarded my, uh, whatchamacallit =
to each=20
new box without my having to move the mouse.&nbsp; I also learned that =
when I go=20
to select&nbsp;the State I live in, instead of scrolling down all the =
way I can=20
just type "O", as in Oregon, and it will automatically&nbsp;skip to the =
"O's"=20
and I save time in scrolling.&nbsp; Two different people taught me those =

tricks.&nbsp; Cool, huh?&nbsp; I bet ya knew it already.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Later Alligators,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Lucinda</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C08FCB.EE943FC0--