[Hpn] Re: [under-the-bridge] Goldsmith to Homeless: Pray for Food / Your opinion?

Wes Browning wes@speakeasy.org
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:47:10 -0800 (PST)

Unfortunately, all choices are not equal. As a non-Christian I have
very few places services to go to eat where my religious beliefs are
not insulted. Whereas Christians may not only go to Christian food
services to eat, but they may also go to the secular services I use,
because the secular services don't prohibit them from praying. So
already as things stand, I have fewer choices, they have more. And if
GW & Goldsmith get their way, that existing inequality will certainly
increase, unless there are very tight controls on proselytizing on the
services that receive government funds.

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Diana Dedul wrote:

> Hello;
> If you have a choice of where to go & choice a house
> of prayer then I would expect you would be required to
> participate.There are non-Christian shelters each have
> there own regulations.Prayer is more out of respect,
> thanksgiving & personal beliefs.But it does work for
> those who believe.
>                                    Diana
> --- Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > What's your opinion?  Should prayer be required as a
> > condition of
> > government-funded services?
> >
> > REPLY TO: "Homeless People's Network list"
> >

> http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,269397-412,00.shtml
> > [full] FTN Transcript - WASHINGTON, Feb. 4, 2001
> >
> > Stephen Goldsmith is USA President Bush's pick to
> > head the new Office of
> > Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.  On CBS "Face
> > The Nation" TV
> > talk-show of Sunday, Feb. 4, 2001, Goldsmith said:
> >
> > "If you are homeless and you don't want to be mixed
> > up with a religious
> > organization, you should have an option. Government
> > should never force you
> > through the front door of a religious organization.
> > If, however, you have a
> > choice of a faith-based organization and you, the
> > individual, choose to go
> > there and you have to pray before your lunch meal,
> > you should be required
> > to pray."
> >

> > Visit HPN for CONSTANTLY UPDATING NEWS on Homeless
> > People:

> > Over 10,000 articles by or via homeless &
> > ex-homeless people
> > Open ARCHIVES
> > Been Homeless? Then JOIN! EMAIL Tom Boland
> > <wgcp@earthlink.net>
> > Nothing About Us Without Us - Democratize Public
> > Policy

Wes Browning
Discovering New Ways to Harness Stupidity --
Since 1991.