[Hpn] 206,280,184 sq ft

Harmony Foster Kieding fosterharmony@savethisplanet.com
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:21:26 -0800

Every day, as I click on the free donation buttons at Ecology Fund, I can't help
but look at the statistics.

February 2nd, 2001
Ecology Fund now has 7.4 square miles, or 1.894.2 hectares, to show for its
efforts. I personally have contributed 20,868.2 square feet of them. (probably
about average to middling, I dunno)
So where am I going with all these darned statistics you might well ask? Where
I am going with them is simply this: every day that I click on the free donation
buttons, I wonder why we all aren't doing the same sort of thing for ourselves.

That is to say, buying land to build our own homes, tents, or whatever on.

I know there are free donations for homeless shelters...but we know homeless
shelters are bandaids and not the solution.  Why the heck can't we start something
like an EcologyFund for buying land for ourselves?
Yes, there are probably dozens of reasons why we couldn't; who would manage
the money, for one thing- where would we start buying it for another, and so
on and so on... but where I wind up is...for every great thing that was achieved
in history, there were probably dozens of reasons why it shouldn't have been
started, or why it wasn't possible, or why great Aunt Nelly would be upset by
it.
I also know that there's the whole "charity" thing, and the whole "doing everything
for ouselves" thing.
But when all is said and done..having our own piece of land would be a start.
(A start to what, I don't know, but there you have life on planet earth.)

Harmony

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7076/causes.html