[Hpn] Triple FEDERAL HOMELESS AID, Mayors ask Bush (fwd)

elijah huffman hobo_poet@hotmail.com
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 03:32:18 -0500

I understand that the organizations 'normaly' pay the workers, little if at
all. I also understand that there is a lot of ripoff, normally done by the
head of the organizatio,n though not always and not limited to the head. One
case is the wings of love in santa barbara,I beliwve it was, in just one
lyear the founder imbeziled over one and one half million dollars, and that
was just at a soup kitchen, I also know that in Santa Barbara about the same
period of time, maybe a few years later, they were talking about building a
new mission. A group of us talked to the director about us building it, from
design stage on(I hve the archetectural and consulting engineering
experience as a head draftsman engineering technition), He said there had to
be a licensed contractor,as I already knew, We then asked if he would let us
find an architect and the Genersl contractor etc, to let us work under their
license and supervision to do it.He still refused. We then attempted to
submit editorials to try to do it. The paper wouldn't take the editorials as
we didn't have addresses, so some locals submited them, and they still
weren't published.When the mission was finished it came to two and one-half
million dollars. I might add that part of our proposal, was to build some
workshops with money saved, so we could turn out roducts, giving us some
income, and also going lnto main-taining the program, that way any further
donations coming in could go for possitive growth. Anyway, after the mission
had it's grand opening there was the longest article in the santa barbara
letters to the editor, about why didn't the homeless help. We went to some
of the locals that had tried to submit articles for us before, to see if
they would submit rebutals. We were told they already had, as soon as the
saw the editrial. the rebutals were never printed.
This goes on all over the country, there are some that care, but the pity
the homeless thing has been preached so long, that even the good hearted
folk don't give us the credit we deserve, becaus we are someone to pity,
rather than get equal respect.
I was at a 1200 dollar ticket award ceramony as one of lthe token homeless,
after the event and we are in the room with all of the snacks, and every one
is milling. here are all of these supposed to care about the homeles
avoiding being with them including this 120000 dollar a year, head of one of
the national homeless organizations, but people from the national co-olition
for the homeless came over with us, as we had after awhile found each other
and formed our own damn group so don't try to get me to think it's okay with
the orgs. as it is only ok with a few of them, out of the very many