[Hpn] FW: Psychiatric Rights Censored, NAMI *UNGLUED* - www.MindFreedom.org DENDRITE www.MindFreedom.org DENDRITE

Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:13:13 -0700

----------
From: "www.MindFreedom.org DENDRITE" <dendron@efn.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:59:23 -0800
To: "MINDFREEDOM Human Rights Alert" <dendrite@efn.org>
Subject: Psychiatric Rights Censored, NAMI *UNGLUED* - www.MindFreedom.org
DENDRITE

www.MindFreedom.org DENDRITE -- February 1, 2001
COPY & POST to appropriate places on & off Internet:
NEWS ALERT: human rights & "mental health system."
A free project of Support Coalition International.
http://www.MindFreedom.org email:<office@mindfreedom.org>

        NATIONAL ALLIANCE FOR THE MENTALLY ILL (NAMI)
        BECOMES "UNGLUED"....

        ...OR SHOULD WE SAY NAMI IS IN A STICKY SITUATION?

        NAMI GLUES TOGETHER PAGES TO TRY TO CENSOR
        ARTICLES IN TWO ISSUES OF ITS OWN JOURNAL.

        THE FIRED JOURNAL EDITOR SAYS,  "IT IS CENSORSHIP!
        I WILL NEVER KOWTOW TO A DICTATORSHIP!"

         USE YOUR E-MAIL TO STICK IT TO CENSORSHIP!
         PLEASE COPY THIS NEWS FAR AND WIDE *NOW*!

SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA -- The National Alliance for
the Mentally Ill claims it is "The Nation's Voice on
Mental Illness." But NAMI is suppressing, gagging and
firing a brave voice speaking up for human rights.

NAMI has published a slick magazine called _The
JOURNAL_ for 11 years, through its California
chapter. In a public e-mail yesterday, editor Dan E.
Weisburd said that the newly-elected NAMI-California
board of directors has "knowingly killed" _The
JOURNAL_, censored his articles, and fired him.

        AND THEN THE STORY GETS REALLY WEIRD...

The NAMI-California board has openly admitted it is
now using glue to stick together the pages of
articles by Weisburd in two recent issues. The glue
is a desperate censorship attempt. But the sticky
ain't stayin' stuck. NAMI used rubber cement. NAMI
members who are outraged by the censorship are
gleefully reporting they are able to peel back pages
and peak inside to read the taboo articles.

Once more, NAMI leaders' blind faith in a "chemical
quick fix" is producing a side effect: Resistance.
Said Weisburd, "Typical of their ineptitude, they
didn't even do a good glue job."

The un-sticky glue may be a sign of in-house rebellion.
In a truly disgusting twist, NAMI made "mental health
clients" at a vocational rehabilitation program, Turning
Point, apply the glue. It's unknown who chose the glue.

        WHAT IS NAMI TRYING TO HIDE NOW?

What were Weisburd's sins? First, he challenged in
print the patron saint of some NAMI leaders.
Weisburd questioned fraudulent statistics spouted by
extremist psychiatrist E. Fuller Torrey. Torrey is
one of the main champions of increasing the use of
involuntary psychiatric drugging of people, even
those living at home out in the community. Second,
Weisburd wrote about the need for better physical
medical attention for people taking prescribed
psychiatric drugs, including his own son.

Heading up glue brush brigade is Brian Jacobs,
president of NAMI-CA board. Jacobs is married to
Carla Jacobs, who recently led the crusade to lobby
for AB 1800 in the California Assembly. AB 1800
would have made it easier to commit Californians,
and made it possible to involuntarily drug them in
their own homes. Hundreds of mental health
consumers, psychiatric survivors, mental health
workers, family members and advocates united to stop
the Jacobs. AB 1800 was crushed in July 2000.

What the Jacobs can't win through voting they
want to smother with glue. And the Jacobs label _us_
"mentally ill"? Is this what "normal" looks like?

        *** EASY FREE E-MAIL ACTION YOU CAN TAKE ***

COPY THIS NEWS TO ALL APPROPRIATE PLACES ON AND OFF
THE INTERNET -- YOUR E-MAIL CAN MAKE THIS CENSORSHIP
BACKFIRE! More actions are at the bottom of this alert.

BELOW ARE EXCERPTS from Dan E. Weisburd's public
e-mail yesterday to a colleague. Break the silence!

        "IT IS CENSORSHIP!
        I WILL NEVER KOWTOW TO A DICTATORSHIP!"

        by Dan E. Weisburd
        Editor of _The JOURNAL_ <danburd@aol.com>

You may broadcast via e-mail what I'm about to tell
you far and wide. In recent years the NAMI
California Board of Directors has gone from being
mediocre to being a malicious absurdity. In the
process I have become a prime target for the simple
reason that I am pro-consumer and pro-patient's
rights. They worship E. Fuller Torrey, MD, who is a
good person but has succumbed to selling involuntary
treatment by branding unmedicated people with mental
illness as violent, and I've pointed out his
fallacious and unsubstantiated statistics.

The simple truth of the current state of affairs is
that _The JOURNAL_ is no more. Period.

The board of directors of NAMI California, through
its attorney, has informed me that it has suspended
_The JOURNAL_. In addition they voted to glue shut
my traditional Publisher's Note pages opening the
"Mental Illness and the Law" issue because Brian
Jacobs, the board president, got an attorney to give
the opinion that my calling into question the views
of E. Fuller Torrey, MD (a public person --
published in _The NY Times_, _Washington Post_,
etc.) could constitute defamation.

Again, showing me no courtesy, had they have called
on me they could have learned that I had obtained
four authoritative legal opinions to the contrary
including one from a former Harvard Law School
professor who taught First Amendment and defamation
law. Plus, they could have learned that sources
cited by Torrey had told the National Stigma
Clearinghouse that their work in no way
substantiated his claims of 1,000 murders a year by
persons with serious mental illness. My concern was
labeling our people as violent and that that
stigma-raiser was printed, without hesitation or
verification by some of our nation's best newspapers!

True to this board's form they did not even notify
me of their decision to suspend _The JOURNAL_ until
after the "WELLNESS" issue was off the press. Brian
Jacobs, the board president, upon reading my
Publisher's Note in that issue went to Martha Long,
Director of The Village ISA and Richard Van Horn,
her boss at MHA-LA County and tried to persuade them
to send a letter protesting what I had written. You
should know that I am recognized as the "Godfather
of the Village" and am very proud of it and fond of
its staff, having chaired (1986-8) the California
Economic Development Commission's Task Force on
Serious Mental Illness, which conceptualized the
Integrated Service Agency (ISA) Concept -- The
Village being the first model of that concept. You
should also know that my son, David, is a member of
the ten year old Village, and has been there for
almost three years now, and is employed, happy and
doing well despite his very "voicey" schizophrenia.

When they (Long and Van Horn) refused to write a
critical letter, and Van Horn even told Jacobs that
he agreed with the thrust of my column -- that good
medical care was needed for our population -- Jacobs
nevertheless went to his attorney and his Executive
Committee and got concurrence to once again glue
shut my Publisher's Note -- this time in the
"WELLNESS" issue, before mailing it out. But,
typical of their ineptitude, they didn't even do a
good glue job. People have been calling me asking
why this was done, and saying it was silly and
offensive and easy to pull apart.

But the event is not silly. It is censorship.

Perhaps next they will burn the books (press over
runs) that are in storage and have an approximate
$250,000 value when sold at conferences or by mail.
That value belongs to the members of this 501(c)(3)
nonprofit and is not to be taken lightly by those
who accept board responsibility. Few magazines live
beyond three years. _The JOURNAL_ lived 11. I
believe it is now dead, and that they, the board of
NAMI California have knowingly killed it, for
reasons known best to them.

In 1989 when, as 1st Vice president of CAMI, I was
given carte blanch to create a new publication as
long as I raised all the money for it and would not
take liquor or tobacco funds, I took the
responsibility seriously. Over the years I have
raised more than two million dollars to produce the
44 issues contained in the 11 volumes of what has
become _The JOURNAL_, and never was there ever a
talk of censorship. I am very proud of the legacy I
leave behind, and will never kowtow to a
dictatorship -- not in these United States. What
sorry times our family movement has fallen upon, and
what a sad excuse for leadership we have now holding
power.

Dan

Dan E. Weisburd
10260 Moorpark Street
Toluca Lake, CA 91602

(818) 769-3252
<danburd@aol.com>

     *** OTHER ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE ***

Please keep your messages to NAMI *civil*.

1. COMPLAIN ABOUT CENSORSHIP TO NAMI NATIONAL

NAMI national says this is a state concern. But
national NAMI needs to speak out. The national NAMI
board helped remove executive director Laurie Flynn
on Jan. 1, 2001. They are searching for a new director.

Sample message: "Please pick a director who speaks
out for freedom, not censorship and forced drugging."

E-mail to NAMI's national director of public policy
Andrew Sperling at: <andrew@nami.org>

NAMI's toll free help line 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) extension 2.

Other NAMI national contact information:
http://www.nami.org/poc.htm

2. COMPLAIN ABOUT CENSORSHIP TO NAMI CALIFORNIA

E-mail to: <namica@pacbell.net>

If you'd like, copy complaints to NAMI California to
both Dan Weisburd at <danburd@aol.com> and
Support Coalition at <office@mindfreedom.org>

NAMI CALIFORNIA phone: (916) 567-0163

(They still have copies of the glued "censored JOURNAL":
"Mental Illness and the Law" and "Wellness" are available
from NAMI California for $10 a copy. Or $55 for 10 copies.)

3. JOIN SUPPORT COALITION INTERNATIONAL

Support Coalition International speaks out about
human rights in the "mental health system." SCI's
journal _Dendron_ doesn't censor human rights news!
Information below on how to join. Tell NAMI their
censorship inspired you to join Support Coalition!

      *** YOU CAN NOW JOIN SUPPORT COALITION ONLINE ***

You can now join, donate and renew with Support Coalition
International by VISA/MasterCard via a secure web server:
http://mindfreedom.org/Participate/index.html

To contact or join Support Coalition International other ways:
Phone 9 am to 5 pm Pacific Time at (541) 345-9106.
Or you can join toll free at 1-877-MAD-PRIDE (623-7743).
Or fax at any time to (541) 345-3737. Or write to:
Support Coalition; PO Box 11284; Eugene, OR 97440 USA.
Or e-mail: office@MindFreedom.org. Donations tax deductible.

www.MindFreedom.org DENDRITE ALERT BROUGHT TO
YOU FREE BY SUPPORT COALITION INTERNATIONAL.

www.MindFreedom.org DENDRITE is a one-way *occasional*
e-mail list, so you do *NOT* get too much e-mail this way.

UPDATE: One week after one of these alerts went out to stop
a psychiatric institution from hounding postal worker Arnie Smith
to pay for his own forced human rights abuses, Arnie won!

*** BRANCH LIKE DENDRITES DO *** Copy & forward this
alert to appropriate places on & off the Internet, just as
your brain uses your tree-like dendrites to network
billions of neurons. Thousands of interested people are
the first to receive this. Many re-distribute it and take action.
Disclaimer: WWW.MINDFREEDOM.ORG DENDRITE is
not affiliated with -- and not to be confused with -- any other
entity, such as "DENDRITE FOREST" or their publications.

Support Coalition International is a totally independent
non-profit federation of nearly 100 groups in 14 countries
united to win human rights and alternatives in the
"mental health system." SCI is open to the public,
and led by psychiatric survivors. SCI receives no
funding from the psychiatric drug industry, the
"mental health system" or the government.

NAMI national on the other hand, received $11.72 million
from the psychiatric drug industry. See _Mother Jones_ article:
http://www.motherjones.com/mother_jones/ND99/nami.html
More than a year after this article, NAMI still tries to keep their
drug company funding secret. Glue this, NAMI leaders.

NOTE: Just getting this human rights alert e-mail does *not*
necessarily mean you are already an SCI member.
www.MindFreedom.org DENDRITE is a free public e-mail alert list.
_Dendron News_ is Support Coalition's  newsjournal for members.
Not sure you're a current member? Ask <office@MindFreedom.org>

You can get www.MindFreedom.org DENDRITE
e-mail human rights alerts *free*:

To get free www.MindFreedom.org DENDRITE alerts, simply e-mail to:
<ListProc@efn.org>

with these two words only in body of message:
subscribe dendrite

To stop receiving these human rights alerts, e-mail to:
<ListProc@efn.org>

with these two words only in body of message:
unsubscribe dendrite