[Hpn] Joy-Boy (J. Reynalds) weighs in... AND A FUN SURVEY!!!

Bonnie Briggs s248_1132@hotmail.com
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:45:25 +0000

> > Joy Junction director Jeremy Reynalds said he hopes the president's
>funding
> > plan never becomes reality. Instead, Reynalds wants government to
>cooperate
> > with faith-based organizations like his homeless shelter in terms of
> > decreasing burdensome regulations.
>
>Oh, and what would those "burdensome regulations" be? Public oversight?
>Providing fiscal information to the IRS? Compliance with the Americans with
>Disabilities Act? Health and safety inspections? Reporting staff salaries?
>
>Inquiring minds want to know!
>
> > If Joy Junction received government money, it could no longer make it
> > mandatory for clients to attend religious education and religious
>services,
> > he said.
>
>OK, let's have a quick fun survey HPN'ers:
>
>1 - Would you willingly submit to mandatory religious education and
>religious services in exchange for three hots and a cot, or would you
>rather
>keep your personal dignity and spirituality intact by doing a stint in the
>county jail instead?
Bonnie here...
  I think I would rather go to jail. People should have a choice.

>2- Would it be a hypocritical act to deny services to someone because they
>aren't members of the same religion as your ministry?
  Yes, because that agency is not being inclusive, it is being
discriminatory. Agencies serving the homeless are supposed to help everyone,
not just the ones they like.

>3- What do you think the potential is for a Jonestown or Heaven's Gate
>scenario playing out in a secretive and dogmatic environment staffed by
>reactionary leaders like Joy Junction?
  I think it is a very good potential.

>4- Do you think gays and lesbians go to heaven when they die, even if they
>would have to put up with their persecutors from this life?
   I'm not sure.

>5- BONUS QUESTION: Charity, or Justice?
  Both.

>Please "cc" your survey answers to joyjunction@joyjunction.org