[Hpn] Homeless as Staff

Charee cllord@value.net
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 06:10:33 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0052_01C029DB.F9B15920

In my experience as Executive Director of St. Vincent de Paul in Contra =
Costa County CA, on any given day our staffing would be 30-60% homeless =
or former homeless.  There are many great success stories that came from =
those hires and some not so successful.  Much of it depends on their own =
healing, and how long they were homeless and for what reasons.  Theft, =
or the scarcity of resources thinking was a major down fall for a great =
many and is a "tough" one to over come.  On the positive side they =
usually knew everyone "out" their and built trust and credibility with =
the other clients..been there, done that sort of thing.  Like anything, =
it really depended on the person.

The scenario I used many times was based on an old theory someone shared =
with me years ago called the Karpman Triangle.  Each of the sides are =
labeled  Victim on the lower left, persecutor on top, and helper on the =
lower right.  Theory being that peoples personality moved between these =
basic types of behavior but underneath they had one strong position.  =
When they are homeless or down they feel like victims and usually end up =
in "victim" jobs (fast food, service,etc.) when they get past the first =
few pay checks and begin to feel more secure their real "personality" =
comes out.  They may not really be a "victim" and so they start to =
resent the job, feel they are being used, and suddenly they are =
persecutors...company didn't hire a persecutor they hired a victim...the =
job match is over...Key is to catch the client as this begins to happen =
and help them move to a different job that now "fits"...lots of sales =
people are persecutors (aggressive) so are lawyers, police, security, =
many case mangers are helpers..Hope this helps.
Charee

------=_NextPart_000_0052_01C029DB.F9B15920

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style">In my experience as Executive =
Director of=20
St. Vincent de Paul in Contra Costa County CA, on any given day our =
staffing=20
would be 30-60% homeless or former homeless.&nbsp; There are many great =
success=20
stories that came from those hires and some not so successful.&nbsp; =
Much of it=20
depends on their own healing, and how long they were homeless and for =
what=20
reasons.&nbsp; Theft, or the scarcity of resources thinking was a major =
down=20
fall for a great many and is a "tough" one to over come.&nbsp; On the =
positive=20
side they usually knew everyone "out" their and built trust and =
credibility with=20
the other clients..been there, done that sort of thing.&nbsp; Like =
anything, it=20
really depended on the person.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style">The scenario I used many times was =
based on=20
an old theory someone shared with me years ago called the Karpman=20
Triangle.&nbsp; Each of the sides are labeled&nbsp; Victim on the lower =
left,=20
persecutor on top, and helper on the lower right.&nbsp; Theory being =
that=20
peoples personality moved between these basic types of behavior but =
underneath=20
they had one strong position.&nbsp; When they are homeless or down they =
feel=20
like victims and usually end up in "victim" jobs (fast food, =
service,etc.) when=20
they get past the first few pay checks and begin to feel more secure =
their real=20
"personality" comes out.&nbsp; They may not really be a "victim" and so =
they=20
start to resent the job, feel they are being used, and suddenly they are =

persecutors...company didn't hire a persecutor they hired a victim...the =
job=20
match is over...Key is to catch the client as this begins to happen and =
help=20
them move to a different job that now "fits"...lots of sales people are=20
persecutors (aggressive) so are lawyers, police, security, many case =
mangers are=20
helpers..Hope this helps.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style">Charee</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0052_01C029DB.F9B15920--