[Hpn] Ex-homeless people make good staff? Why or why not? Your experiences?

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 18:11:22 -0700

I wouldn't necessarily say so.  When I stayed at the mission, there was a
mix of well... I don't know if you could ever call them "ex-homeless", they
might have had somewhat of an edge over the rest of the population, they had
a few bucks, a more private (but shared) room, and a few more advantages,
but they were still slaves, without much hope in overcoming their situation.
Some of them made efforts to be kind, and some were.. just plain mean.  I
believe they got that from the "headmistress".  There were qualities I liked
in her, besides her arrogance, but all the same, she snooted that nose and
had a demeaning attitude towards those under her.  She was definately better
than those in her keep, and it showed.
Her little program workers were snitch, make trouble, and snitch, to make
trouble.  Values switched and swung from day to day, depending on what kind
of number they felt like playing (paying) on any given day.
The stress was tremendous, and being mean, was part of being good, and
paying the piper.
Last time I landed there, the women and children had their own space (a
converted apartment), beneath the "women only" shelter.  I remember, out of
consideration, a program worker suggested I put my toiletries (toothpaste,
toothbrushes, deodarant, etc.), in a plastic container, which she provided.
Another family came in and had gotten into it, and used something of mine.
Had I known what an explosion it was going to create, I'd have surely never
mentioned it, or expressed my "little bit" of irritation to the program
worker.  What'd she do?  She went up and tattled to the head mistress.
Things really started going down from there.  For one thing, the family that
had come in were rudely evicted, and ended up staying with some mexicans in
a motel room (for survival).  Not only that, but other things were PURPOSELY
used against them because some people decided they just didn't like them.
(I saw nothing wrong with them.. they just needed a little love, warmth,
comfort).  Maybe they smiled wrong, I just can't fathom it.  I remember the
young teenager crying when she showed up alone and unaware and discovered
the hard way, the fate that had overcome them.  Their belongings had even
been carelessly removed (search and find.. if you can) from their assigned
quarters.  It was just plain mean and devilish to me.  As for me..  the
toiletries, I was ordered to take my things out of the bathroom, and put
under my bed.  The worker repeated the headmistress' words that "They do NOT
live here... they are not to be made comfortable".
Now, that's love, ain't it?