[Hpn] Ex-homeless people make good staff? Why or why not? Your experiences?

Coalition on Homelessness, SF coh@sfo.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:03:03 -0700

aw gee, Tom. you just keep baiting me along, don't you?

one basic tenet of the advocacy we do at the Coalition is inclusion
of homeless and formerly homeless people in every aspect of program
design, implementation, and operation. unfortunately, all too often
the only jobs these programs will hire homeless and formerly homeless
people to do are the entry level positions - and often these
positions have zero advancement potential. the folks who take these
jobs are frequently set up for burnout because the programs and
services don't have decent staff support and training opportunities.

so, here you have, let's say, a shelter monitor stooping beneath a
glass ceiling that's only five feet from the floor. the monitor is
homeless, so when his shift ends he goes "home" to another shelter.
the pay is shit - not a living wage in anyone's book - and so plans
to save for permanent housing become fleeting in the face of the
rising costs of living. (I've actually heard shelter management
defend the $5.15 hourly wage for homeless shelter monitors under the
rationale: "it's not like they're paying rent or anything.")

he also gets treated like shit and blamed by shelter management and
residents alike for every little problem and fuckup - yet his
responsibility is to serve as an example for others who are trying to
exit homelessness.

I've seen some who are really motivated. they take classes and work
hard and take their experiences with them into social service work,
but being formerly homeless is a barrier as much as an asset in the
homeless services job market. and I've seen just as many who use the
job to make money on the side - everything from selling dope to
clients (with the understanding that if they get behind on their dope
bills they also lose their bed) to stealing food and other donations
- even stealing shelter resident's belongings. the absolute topper
was a report we substantiated and grieved to the city, when night
staff at SF's Mission Rock emergency shelter intimidated an 18
year-old young man into accepting $120 to let them gang-bang his 15
year-old sister, or they were going to kick them both out in the
worst el niño rains SF had seen in years.

religious charities are the absolute worst, the only homeless
management level staff they employ are zealots chosen by "poster
child" potential, much like the guy in the article below.

the thing you must remember when you read shit like that article is
that the sole purpose of articles like these is to raise money for
the charity. this is another prime example of how these organizations
pimp homelessness to perpetuate themselves. it's also pretty clear
that seeds of hope doesn't have any homeless programs, or they would
have pimped off them, too. and they don't do the first damned thing
to end homelessness, why should they? they want to have their jobs
for a long, long time.

so, the question becomes: what does this guy being formerly homeless
actually have to do with the article? and we should all be so lucky
as to have an uncle, or any relative, to help when we hit bottom.

>``They must see the Christ in me. I can't tell them, I must show
them.''

yeah, well I sure hope GEEEZUS is wearing a condom when he's in you,
pal. otherwise the Pope's gonna really be pissed.

peace,

chance

ps- in a related note, STREET SHEET's recent exposé on the financial
misfeasance of Frank Hudson - CEO of Catholic Charities San Francisco
- cost that asshole his
$175,000+ per year job, and also delayed the potential closure of
Guerrero House - a residential program for homeless youth - for at
least two years. Now, if we can just shame the Archdiocese into
giving all the real estate their pimping gained them back for
homeless services, preferably permanent housing, we'll call that a
win.

468 Turk St.
San Francisco, CA 94102
vox: (415) 346.3740