[Hpn] Tacoma homeless in SOLIDARITY with Prague anti-IMF protesters - WA USA fw fw

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:12:44 -0700 (PDT)

SEE LINKS AT END on Prague protesters' shutdown of World Bank/IMF talks:

FWD via IMC: http://prague.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=1270

SOLIDARITY, FROM THE STREETS OF TACOMA, TO THE STREETS OF PRAGUE (english)

by Bruce Triggs 12:56am Wed Sep 27 '00

address: 1417 So. G. St Tacoma, WA 98405 phone: 253-572-6582
guadalope@juno.com

In the midst of the "boom economy," local homeless
crisis becomes an act of solidarity with Prague protestors
for a better world.

(It's all connected eventually.)

Please let folks in Prague know,

      That here in Tacoma, Washington, we're thinking of them, while
dealing with local crisis.  At 3pm on Tuesday the 26th ("What time is it in
Prague?") we'll be in our County Council chambers demanding action on a
lack of emergency shelter beds for women in Tacoma and Pierce County,
(thirty miles south of Seattle.)

      We've been facing this crisis all summer, and as the rainy season
starts, we're upping the pressure on the disrespectful and dangerous way
homeless women are treated here.  We had a friend die on Friday, sleeping
outside after just getting out of jail.  There was no emergency shelter for
her, and now Maria's dead.  There's money for jail beds, but not shelter
beds.

        I was interviewed by a reporter from the local paper asking if we
planned solidarity for friends at the IMF in Prague.  I told him, "When
activists talk about international issues, we're always told, 'Why don't
you worry about needy people at home?'  But when we confront injustice
right outside our door, we're told, 'Nothing can be done for those
people.'"  Both those dissmissals are bullshit.

        We the people, care for those in need at home.  We are there
handing out blankets, (we saved 200 blankets from the blockade in front of
the Seattle jail at N30 to give to homeless friends) and providing shelter
and food.  But we have to ask, "Why are there so many people living
outside?"  We see through the lie of the boom economy, both locally, and
internationally, which is that many people are doing worse, while in our
town, there's LESS services to try to meet the most basic rights.

        So, Tuesday, when you're in the streets of Prague, we'll be in our
local County Council chambers, talking about the street-level economic
crisis in people's lives here.  In Prague, you speak for us when you demand
changes in the global economic machinery that values billions of people's
lives less then the profit margin of the World Bank's stock-holders.  In
our country and all over the world, we carry the same issues: People before
profits, human needs, not corporate greed, solidarity forever.

peace b

Bruce Triggs
Tacoma Catholic Worker
Guadalupe Garden and House of Hospitality
1417 So. G. St. Tacoma, WA 98405
253-572-6582
<guadalope@juno.com>

(c) Independent Media Center. All content is free for reprint and
rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere, for non-commercial use, unless
otherwise noted by
author.

<http://arizona.indymedia.org/> arizona, US
<http://atlanta.indymedia.org/> atlanta, US
<http://belgium.indymedia.org/> belgium, Europe
<http://bolivia.indymedia.org/> bolivia
<http://boston.indymedia.org/> boston, US
<http://buffalo.indymedia.org/> buffalo, US
<http://calgary.indymedia.org/> calgary, Canada
<http://chicago.indymedia.org/> chicago, US
<http://cleveland.indymedia.org/> cleveland, US
<http://congo.indymedia.org/> congo, Africa
<http://france.indymedia.org/> france, Europe
<http://hamilton.indymedia.org/> hamilton, Canada
<http://italy.indymedia.org/> italy, Europe
<http://la.indymedia.org/> los angeles, US
<http://madison.indymedia.org/> madison, US
<http://mayday.indymedia.org/> mayday, US site
<http://www.melbourne.indymedia.org/> melbourne, AUS
<http://minneapolis.indymedia.org/> minneapolis, US
<http://mexico.indymedia.org/> mexico
<http://nyc.indymedia.org/ >new york city, US
<http://ohiovalleyimc.org/ >ohio valley, US
<http://ontario.indymedia.org/> ontario, Canada
<http://www.phillyimc.org/> philadelphia, US
<http://portland.indymedia.org/> portland, US
<http://prague.indymedia.org/> prague, Europe
<http://rockymountain.indymedia.org/> rocky mountain, US
<http://seattle.indymedia.org/> seattle, US
<http://www.indybay.org/> san francisco, US
<http://sydney.indymedia.org/> sydney, AUS
<http://www.indymedia.org.uk/> united kingdom, Europe
<http://vancouver.indymedia.org/> vancouver, Canada
<http://dc2.indymedia.org/> washington d.c., US
<http://windsor.indymedia.org/> windsor, Canada

END FORWARD

SEE ALSO - Mainstream media photos & news articles on Prague protests:
http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news?p=Prague+AND+protest&n=20&c=news_photos
http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news?p=Prague+AND+protest&c=news
http://www.msnbc.com
           Indymedia LINKS to the Prague protests: