[Hpn] Re: RE:FORUM on [Yahoo! Clubs: Macro Society Canadian Chapter]

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:54:52 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: macro_daria <clubs-mail@yahoo-inc.com>
To: lucy@efn.org <lucy@efn.org>
Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 6:02 AM
Subject: Re: RE:FORUM on [Yahoo! Clubs: Macro Society Canadian Chapter]

>Hey Baron, I'll chime in about now :)
>
>Like others, I have the desire to "make a difference," which is tied in
with my personal and professional success. I have pursued this in the form
of making a difference with Children, who in my opinion ARE the future. When
time and energy are used toward this goal, sometimes "success" is long in
coming.

>I have an illustration to this point. The very first year I started
teaching, I started at a very low-income, very crowded, challenging school.
I had a third grader who was very disruptive during my classes. She seemed
careless about herself, others, and had no problem with causing scenes, and
even once had to be removed from my class. Nothing seemed to help with her,
and she did not choose to be helped or let anyone close to her.

>Two years later, at my "home" school, where students with problems like
that rarely occur, who do I see walking down the hall, but the same girl,
now in 5th grade. It was like a nightmare was revisiting me, and my "safe"
school. Needless to say the staff and administration soon were busy coming
up with a plan to help this girl. It turns out she had suffered some severe
abuses, but now was in a more protected home environment. It was a
challenging year, but with the help of all of the staff and the parents, she
made through the year, as did we.

>Now she's in sixth grade, and to the illustration of my point. Last week,
something amazing occurred. It was both a failure and success. My sixth
grade class failed dismally. This happens once in a while, but this was a
surprise, since all through my career I have tried to teach children
respect, cooperation, responsibility, in essence a broader, more accepting,
macro perspective. The students in that class I have had as students for at
least three years, and I had hoped some of the concepts had sort of sunk in.
I asked the class to form another cooperative group by having each
established group send one person to the new group. They balked at it. They
were all happy in their groups and refused. Only one student voluteered to
leave their group -- it was that girl. She, who I had tried to reach for so
long, had put aside her personal desires, seen the broader persective and
acted. Now, understand that she was in a really good group with the "cool"
kids, students who are high achievers (honor roll) and who are never in
trouble. That she was a part of this group, was a wonderful thing for her,
especially from where she had come from and started at. Therefore, making
her personal sacrifice all the more significant. She, of all students, could
see the broader perspective, that for the good of the whole class we have
another group, and the quicker we made the group, the quicker we could move
on.

>I called her over later that day, and told her I had a note for her to take
home to her parents. You could see her brace herself, because a note home,
was, in the past, always not a "good" thing. Then I explained to her that
what she had done was what I was trying to teach my students for years, and
that she had "succeeded" where others had not. She joked and said she would
tell her parents it was a "citation". The next day, I asked her how her
parents reacted, she said they were very proud of her, and her mom cried.

>The positive changes that have transformed this girl are what I would call
success, of which I had a small part. It is amazing to me, personally and
professionally, to see her now, especially when she comes right up to me in
front of others and hugs me. (hugs are always a good sign:)

>So, perhaps, "success" is not a level of attainment, or anything like it.
You can not get to that state of success, you can only learn to appreciate
successes on your journey (and of course, learn from the failures). It seems
to me that I had heard somewhere, there is no such thing as success or
failure, judgement makes it so. There are only learning opportunities --
(from both success AND fail«macro_daria