[Hpn] Homeless Counts

HOBOMATT@aol.com HOBOMATT@aol.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:14:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hello All;
 I am looking for homeless "surveys" done in cities in the U.S.; to compare
with what has been done recently here in Colorado Springs. Ours (done in
March of this year) claims a 234% in "literal" and "hidden" homeless people
since 1995! I don't believe these numbers at all. Our one main soup kitchen
served around 300 a day in '95, now they are around 350 a day (many of whom
are housed). Our only shelter housed in the high 200's back in 1995, they are
doing in the low 200's now (empty beds every night for over a year).
If anyone reports a decline, I'd appreciate your reasons why this occured.
St. Louis, MO reports a 2% decline since 1995, for example. They credit the
economy and the getting-better-all-the-time efforts of the city's providers.
Probably the decline of the crack epidemic helped too.
Off list would be fine.
Thanks,
Matt Parkhouse, RN;
Colorado Springs, CO