[Hpn] Shelter survey report: SHUT OUT... part 4

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 18:28:10 -0700

Well, I can say one thing... and that is I learned from typing in the
UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS is that we (each of us) are entitled
to a roof over our head.  That human dignity is the prime factor of our
existence, and that we should all be treated with respect that reflects our
value as being human.  (aspiration of mankind).
We don't want children to think that this life is just hell and hardship,
one injury (hurt and disgrace) after another.
It took people, thoughful people, to WRITE in that declaration.  Written
words are binding.  They are created of thought, reflection, and words.
Written, articulated words become LAW.  Law is whatever we create and /or
enforce.  (In Articulated words and by democratic vote).
That is another reason why it is important to vote.
Start listenin to miss gripe, gripe, gripe.
Listen up.
I want you to read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.  I won't cap
it all this time, that is too offensive.  It was capped, because it was
worthy of attention.
It was real.  If there are any words you don't understand, LOOK THEM UP.
Words, serve a very important purpose.  Learn them, they will lead you to
freedom and happiness, I believe.
There were petitions passed around here, recently.  They were petitions to
get an initiative on the ballot in November, calling for a vote on
Marijuana.  They needed signatures, lots of them, in order to get this
initiative on the November Ballot.
It would have allowed Oregon voters to vote on the "legalization" of
marijuana, going just a little further than medical marijuana, and allowing
it to be sold in liquor stores (which are controlled) to over 21, adults
only.
Factors.  66 thousand some signatures (valid ones) were needed to get the
initiative on the ballot.  78 thousand or so were collected.  45 thousand
turned out to be valid.  What does that tell you?  It tells me that 1)
people in these circles think think they can out smart the system (not).  2)
that we're all a bunch of idiots, and ignorant (so)  3)  and that we need
some REAL education regarding voting and voting matters.
It won't be on the ballot.  What a waste of the $30, 000 dollars that people
pitched in towards the goal (conventional wisdom told the initiators that it
would take $50, 000 dollars), and what a waste that we are so darn unaware.
Sure, you like jail time and money penalties, because you just don't have
the time or inclination to register to vote.
What you may and may not know about voting. . .