[Hpn] teaching

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:35:07 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_012D_01C02499.EBEABE40

One time I read in the bible "beware of the desolation of..." something =
or other.  But I looked it up trying to find a meaning, and it simply =
interpreted out to me "beware of leaving people (or a human, or others) =
alone".  It seems as if it were the greatest of sins, to do.
    -----Original Message-----
    From: homey <homey@ids.net>
    Date: Friday, September 22, 2000 1:13 PM
    Subject: [Hpn] teaching
   =20
    Hi all,
   =20
    I have been very busy, but i wanted to respond to the teaching =
aspect of winos.
   =20
    My camping expeditions started last year after our local shelters =
maxed out and could no longer provide shelter to the homeless (very =
similar to unclesams ).  It was not my idea to teach skills to folks =
though I did find individuals who were reduced to life on the edge.  We =
just got together and established some guidelines we all lived under.  =
In this way we all new what would be expected of each other.  Of course =
we had the occassional drunk and addict that got out of control.  It was =
tough going on those occasions, since many of us preferred to handle it =
inhouse, which we did by a number of methods.  Mostly just telling folks =
listen we love you, but if you high or drunk your not welcome here, but =
the underlying policy was if a drunk or druge induced person showed up =
when the weather was cold, we would provide them with a blanket/sleeping =
bag and warm clothes, put them in the drunk tent.  There they remained =
for the night, unless they required medical attention or got unrully, in =
those cases we had agreed to call an amubulance since the person could =
technically freeze to death outside.
   =20
    Most of the time we had no problems.  Only twice did we use the =
designated drunk tank (tent). =20
   =20
    It sounds wierd but we just accepted people for who they were and =
level they were at.   I guess more or less the volunteers and organizers =
like myself provided examples for others to follow.  Some followed, =
helping out emmensely while others did there own thing.  Others followed =
out of peer pressure, "thinking good god that woman can not possibly =
fold 40 blankets and lysol them by herself".  There was one person in =
particular street name, Maddog who really got to motivating people to =
help out and get moving. =20
   =20
    There was one person in particular who was so mentally ill he would =
not sleep with us but slept on the front stoop of the building next to =
us.  After two weeks he finally came over and had dinner with us one =
evening.  I considered this a minor miracle.  This person had not had =
any human contact for some time.  He actually took a liking to our =
nativity scene (which was voted in by those living there), straightening =
the plastic statues and picking up the garbage.
   =20
    I think it was a great experience for people who were basically =
alone to share strenght, their stories and meals.
   =20
    Catalina

------=_NextPart_000_012D_01C02499.EBEABE40

One time I read in the bible = "beware of the=20 desolation of..." something or other.  But I looked it up = trying to=20 find a meaning, and it simply interpreted out to me "beware of = leaving=20 people (or a human, or others) alone".  It seems as if it were = the=20 greatest of sins, to do.
-----Original = Message-----