[Hpn] teaching

homey homey@ids.net
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:11:57 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_glhGrkyGx4KFdbHeuPqvFg)

Hi all,

I have been very busy, but i wanted to respond to the teaching aspect of =
winos.

My camping expeditions started last year after our local shelters maxed =
out and could no longer provide shelter to the homeless (very similar to =
unclesams ).  It was not my idea to teach skills to folks though I did =
find individuals who were reduced to life on the edge.  We just got =
together and established some guidelines we all lived under.  In this =
way we all new what would be expected of each other.  Of course we had =
the occassional drunk and addict that got out of control.  It was tough =
going on those occasions, since many of us preferred to handle it =
inhouse, which we did by a number of methods.  Mostly just telling folks =
listen we love you, but if you high or drunk your not welcome here, but =
the underlying policy was if a drunk or druge induced person showed up =
when the weather was cold, we would provide them with a blanket/sleeping =
bag and warm clothes, put them in the drunk tent.  There they remained =
for the night, unless they required medical attention or got unrully, in =
those cases we had agreed to call an amubulance since the person could =
technically freeze to death outside.

Most of the time we had no problems.  Only twice did we use the =
designated drunk tank (tent). =20

It sounds wierd but we just accepted people for who they were and level =
they were at.   I guess more or less the volunteers and organizers like =
myself provided examples for others to follow.  Some followed, helping =
out emmensely while others did there own thing.  Others followed out of =
peer pressure, "thinking good god that woman can not possibly fold 40 =
blankets and lysol them by herself".  There was one person in particular =
street name, Maddog who really got to motivating people to help out and =
get moving. =20

There was one person in particular who was so mentally ill he would not =
sleep with us but slept on the front stoop of the building next to us.  =
After two weeks he finally came over and had dinner with us one evening. =
 I considered this a minor miracle.  This person had not had any human =
contact for some time.  He actually took a liking to our nativity scene =
(which was voted in by those living there), straightening the plastic =
statues and picking up the garbage.

I think it was a great experience for people who were basically alone to =
share strenght, their stories and meals.

Catalina

--Boundary_(ID_glhGrkyGx4KFdbHeuPqvFg)

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have been very busy, but i wanted to respond to =
the teaching=20
aspect of winos.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My camping expeditions started last year after our =
local=20
shelters maxed out and could no longer provide shelter to the homeless =
(very=20
similar to unclesams ).&nbsp; It was not my idea to teach skills to =
folks though=20
I did find individuals who were reduced to life on the edge.&nbsp; We =
just got=20
together and established some guidelines we all lived under.&nbsp; In =
this way=20
we all new what would be expected of each other.&nbsp; Of course we had =
the=20
occassional drunk and addict that got out of control.&nbsp; It was tough =
going=20
on those occasions, since many of us preferred to handle it inhouse, =
which we=20
did by a number of methods.&nbsp; Mostly just telling folks listen we =
love you,=20
but if you high or drunk your not welcome here, but the underlying =
policy was if=20
a drunk or druge induced person showed up when the weather was cold, we =
would=20
provide them with a blanket/sleeping bag and warm clothes, put them in =
the drunk=20
tent.&nbsp; There they remained for the night, unless they required =
medical=20
attention or got unrully, in those cases we had agreed to call an =
amubulance=20
since the person could technically freeze to death outside.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Most of the time we had no problems.&nbsp; Only =
twice did we=20
use the designated drunk tank (tent).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It sounds wierd but we just accepted people for who =
they were=20
and level they were at.&nbsp;&nbsp; I guess more or less the volunteers =
and=20
organizers like myself provided examples for others to follow.&nbsp; =
Some=20
followed, helping out emmensely while others did there own thing.&nbsp; =
Others=20
followed out of peer pressure, "thinking good god that woman can not =
possibly=20
fold 40 blankets and lysol them by herself".&nbsp; There was one person =
in=20
particular street name, Maddog who really got to motivating people to =
help out=20
and get moving.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>There was one person in particular who was so =
mentally ill he=20
would not sleep with us but slept on the front stoop of the building =
next to=20
us.&nbsp; After two weeks he finally came over and had dinner with us =
one=20
evening.&nbsp; I considered this a minor miracle.&nbsp; This person had =
not had=20
any human contact for some time.&nbsp; He actually took a liking to our =
nativity=20
scene (which was voted in by those living there), straightening the =
plastic=20
statues and picking up the garbage.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I think it was a great experience for people who =
were=20
basically alone to share strenght, their stories and meals.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Catalina</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_glhGrkyGx4KFdbHeuPqvFg)--