[Hpn] (News) No Anitra on NBC

Anitra Freeman anitra@speakeasy.org
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:17:27 -0700 (PDT)

It's a grave disappointment, but our spot on Seattle's computer classes
for homeless people will *not* be shown on NBC's Homepage after all --
Friday morning or, apparently, ever.  According to the Executive
Producer, there were too many audio problems with the tape that was
recorded in Real Change, and there are no plans to re-tape.  When I
watched Homepage on Monday, the first day I expected us to air, there
was a spot recorded in the NBC commissary at Australia's Olympics that
had no audio problems but, well, that's the breaks.  That's the
priorities.

I was tempted to include the producer's email address in this message so
that anyone interested could write to her and ask for a re-taping, but I
decided that would be acting out of bitterness.  It's more important
just to keep our work going.  We will yet have national coverage in
Wired magazine when Jonathan Vankin's article comes out.  And then NBC
can consider themselves scooped. :)

For those of you who want to contact Jonathan further about his story,
his email is Jonathan Vankin <jonvankin@yahoo.com>

In spite of not getting national coverage right now, classes like those
in Seattle are still spreading nationally.  Mike Davidson's page
Homeless on the Internet at http://bmdavidson.tripod.com/ is an
excellent source for further information.

Keep on keepin' on!

Write On! / Anitra L. Freeman / http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/
"We can't help everyone.  We can't fix everything.  It hurts.
 But it is better to live with pain than to live without caring."