[Hpn] RE: Idea: a tax on empty buildings

Ronald J. Bartle RBartle@t-online.de
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 01:14:39 +0200

I am not shure about in other places - but at least in the UK and Germany
here - there
are legal measures to force the owners of empty residential structures to use
or rent them.

If left for too long in the UK for instance - (at least when I was serving as
an offical
at the City Housing Office in Truro, Cornwall - in s.w. England - if the place
was left empty
for more than so many years - the owner got a formal warning and then if no
useage or rental in
a certain number of months - the county was empowered to sell the property by
auction to whoever
guaranteed that it would be used/let and offered the best price.  A fee was
taken - and the person had
to pay fines - and then get the rest of the cash etc.

I can`t remember all the details of the procedure now - but I would think most
European nations have this
legislation - perhaps comming out of the fact that this part of the world is
densly populated and
space itself is at a premium.

ron b.