[Hpn] Idea: a tax on empty buildings

Graeme Bacque graeme2@funcow.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 05:55:50 -0400

--=====================_29568464==_.ALT

At 07:11 PM 9/13/00 +1000, you wrote:

>One of my formerly homeless colleagues came up with a brilliant idea--
>a tax on empty buildings.
>
>There are so many empty building around-- from office buildings to
>flats and houses.
>
>Currently, people here in Australia can use properties as a tax dodge
>(through negative gearing-- I don't quite *understand* it, but I know
>it's done). People can rent out their properties or leave them
>unoccupied-- the tax benefits are the same.
>
>What if people were *taxed* on any unoccupied buildings they owned,
>instead?
>
>How many landlords would decide they *had* to rent out their
>properties? Lots, I suspect.
>
>What do you think?
>
>- Ria

An antipoverty  group I work with in Toronto once proposed a 'use it or
lose it' bylaw for this city as a way of addressing the issue of the more
than 250 residential properties that are sitting vacant - in some cases for
years. Needless to say Toronto City Council didn't go for the idea.

Graeme <graeme2@funcow.com>
http://bacque.graeme.tripod.com