[Hpn] Idea: a tax on empty buildings

Ria Strong strongvoice@start.com.au
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 19:11 +1000

One of my formerly homeless colleagues came up with a brilliant idea--
a tax on empty buildings.

There are so many empty building around-- from office buildings to
flats and houses.

Currently, people here in Australia can use properties as a tax dodge
(through negative gearing-- I don't quite *understand* it, but I know
it's done). People can rent out their properties or leave them
unoccupied-- the tax benefits are the same.

What if people were *taxed* on any unoccupied buildings they owned,
instead?

How many landlords would decide they *had* to rent out their
properties? Lots, I suspect.

What do you think?

- Ria