[Hpn] JOB ANNOUNCEMENT - NCH Executive Director

Coalition on Homelessness, SF coh@sfo.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:28:09 -0700

--============_-1244357961==_ma============

**PLEASE RE - DISTRIBUTE WIDELY**

National Coalition for the Homeless
1012 Fourteenth Street, NW - Suite 600
Washington, DC 20005-3405
Phone: 202-737-6444
=46ax: 202-737-6445
Email: nch@ari.net
Web: http://nch.ari.net

POSITION DESCRIPTION
Executive Director

Mission Statement: The National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH) is a
national advocacy network of people who have experienced
homelessness, activists, service providers and others committed to a
single goal. That goal - our common bond and mission - is to end
homelessness. We take it as first principle of practice that people
who have experienced homelessness must be actively involved in all
levels of our work. We are committed to creating the systemic and
attitudinal changes necessary to end homelessness. At the same time,
we work to meet the urgent needs of persons who either are currently
homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

Position Summary: The Executive Director of NCH is responsible for
providing management of the Coalition and carrying out the policies,
programs and public policy initiatives established by the board of
directors. The position is based in our Washington, DC national
headquarters. Some travel is required.

Duties:

=85 Implement board directives and established programs, including
development of annual work plan and monitoring.
=85 Oversee day-to-day operations of the office and coordination of
board operations.
=85 Supervise unionized staff.
=85 Function as the principal spokesperson in dialing with public
officials and the media.
=85 Prepare annual budget in conjunction with board executive committee.
=85 Represent NCH to other national and local advocacy groups.
=85 Coordinate NCH fund development efforts; including preparing grant
proposal and maintaining relations with both founders and prospective
founders
=85 Coordinate public policy initiatives, grassroots organizing, and
public education.

Demonstrated Skills and Abilities:

=85 Supervised a staff, recruited employees, evaluated work, and
maintained high level of staff retention.
=85 Implemented a team management approach.
=85 Communicated effectively with media in previous work.
=85 Managed a grassroots local, state or national advocacy organization.
=85 Raised funding for a $1 million non-profit organization from
diverse public and private sources.
=85 Successfully demonstrated sound fiscal management.
=85 Implemented and monitored a successful strategic planning effort.
=85 Worked successfully with a diverse volunteer board of directors.
Detail oriented, ability to delegate, good follow-through and ability
to hold people accountable.

Qualifications:

=85 At least 3 - 5 years in a position of similar experience at local
or state coalition. Candidate with national policy experience
preferred.
=85 Master level degree in related field or equivalent experience.
=85 Extensive working knowledge of homeless and housing issues.
=85 Proven ability working with diverse people.
=85 Demonstrated commitment to social justice

Hiring Process:

NCH is an equal opportunity employer. People who are homeless and
formerly homeless are encouraged to apply.

Applications must be received by September 30th. Applications should
include a letter of interest with salary requirements and resume and
be mailed to NCH ED Search Committee, c/o Sue Watlov Phillips, Elim
Transitional Housing, 3989 Central Avenue, NE Suite 565, Minneapolis,
MN, 55421. No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.

Salary range and benefits are competitive with other national
homeless and housing advocacy organizations.

Applicants must be available for a face-to-face interview in
Washington, DC on  October 27th. NCH will pay out of town travel
expenses.
468 Turk St.
San Francisco, CA 94102
vox: (415) 346.3740
=46ax: (415) 775.5639
coh@sfo.com
http://www.sfo.com/~coh
--============_-1244357961==_ma============

 --></style><title>JOB ANNOUNCEMENT - NCH Executive
600<br>
Washington, DC 20005-3405<br>
Phone: 202-737-6444<br>
=46ax: 202-737-6445<br>
Email: nch@ari.net<br>
Web: http://nch.ari.net<br>
<b>POSITION DESCRIPTION<br>
Executive Director<br>
Mission Statement:</b> The National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH)
is a national advocacy network of people who have experienced
homelessness, activists, service providers and others committed to a
single goal. That goal - our common bond and mission - is to end
homelessness. We take it as first principle of practice that people
who have experienced homelessness must be actively involved in all
levels of our work. We are committed to creating the systemic and
attitudinal changes necessary to end homelessness. At the same time,
we work to meet the urgent needs of persons who either are currently
homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.<br>
<b>Position Summary:</b> The Executive Director of NCH is responsible
for providing management of the Coalition and carrying out the
policies, programs and public policy initiatives established by the
board of directors. The position is based in our Washington, DC
national headquarters. Some travel is required.<br>
<b>Duties:<br>
established programs, including development of annual work plan and
monitoring.<br>
office and coordination of board operations.<br>
in dialing with public officials and the media.<br>
with board executive committee.<br>
local advocacy groups.<br>
efforts; including preparing grant proposal and maintaining relations
with both founders and prospective founders<br>
grassroots organizing, and public education.<br>
<b>Demonstrated Skills and Abilities:<br>
employees, evaluated work, and maintained high level of staff
retention.<br>
approach.<br>
previous work.<br>
national advocacy organization.<br>
non-profit organization from diverse public and private sources.<br>
management.<br>
strategic planning effort.<br>
volunteer board of directors.<br>
Detail oriented, ability to delegate, good follow-through and ability
to hold people accountable.<br>
<b>Qualifications:<br>
position of similar experience at local or state coalition. Candidate
with national policy experience preferred.<br>
or equivalent experience.<br>
homeless and housing issues.</font></div>
color=3D"#000000"> Proven ability working with diverse people.<br>
justice<br>
Hiring Process:<br>
NCH is an equal opportunity employer. People who are homeless and
formerly homeless are encouraged to apply.<br>
<b>Applications must be received by September 30th. Applications
should include a letter of interest with salary requirements and
resume and be mailed to<u> NCH ED Search Committee, c/o Sue Watlov
Phillips, Elim Transitional Housing, 3989 Central Avenue, NE Suite
565, Minneapolis, MN, 55421.</u> No phone calls or faxes will be
accepted.<br>
</b>Salary range and benefits are competitive with other national
homeless and housing advocacy organizations.<br>
Applicants must be available for a face-to-face interview in
Washington, DC on&nbsp; October 27th. NCH will pay out of town travel
expenses.</font></div>

Coalition on Homelessness, San Francisco<br>
468 Turk St.<br>
San Francisco, CA 94102<br>
vox: (415) 346.3740<br>
=46ax: (415) 775.5639<br>