[Hpn] how much do those of us on HPN use the web to help us manage our health issues? health issues?

H. C. Covington icanamerica@email.msn.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:42:33 -0600

More Americans look online for medical information.
==============================
Americans increasingly are making medical decisions based on health
information they get on the Internet, _The Standard_ reported Nov. 27.

*****************
H E L P! - As HPN [Homeless Peoples Network] is one of the only
sources of information from former and currently homeless folks on the
WWW, we would like to know how much those of us on HPN use the web to
help us manage our health issues.

I know that I have used the web a great deal this past year to
understand some of the unique health problems I have had because my
access to "traditional medical services" was simply not available.
Have any of you been able to get useful information or get better
access to services from information on the web?

Sonny

H  C  C O V I N G T O N
I   C A N !  A m e r i c a
icanamerica@email.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Working together, there is no
problem that can not be solved!"

Rest of article follows below

****************

According to a report from the Pew Internet and American Life Project,
55 percent of Americans online use the Internet to search for medical
information.

And 47 percent of those obtaining health information online say the
information they got **directly affected their decisions about how to
treat an illness or deal with their doctors.**

Lee Rainie, director of the Pew Internet Project, says the growing
number of people seeking health information online is related to the
lack of access that Americans believe they have to their medical
providers.

The one-on-one time that patients get with their doctors during an
average appointment has dropped below 15 minutes she said.

The growing trend is raising concerns in the medical community.

The report found the most online health seekers rely on Internet
searches instead of professional advice and often obtain their
information from sites they had never heard of when the began
searching.

But few people surveyed have replaced doctor’s visits with visits to
health sites.

The report also found that 89 percent of Internet users surveyed fear
that online health companies will collect and sell data about the
medical sites they visit.

For full story, go to The Standard
http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,20389,00.html