[Hpn] Quality Environment Promotes Success

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:37:43 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C0591E.DB8B3C00

"We feel we can help turn [these problems] around
by dealing with the basic problem of these people,
which is self-esteem," King says. "When you can't
look yourself in the mirror in the morning, the rest of
the day is pretty bad. But if you can find an
environment that wants to support you rather than
tear you down, your odds of going somewhere on
your own are greatly improved."

This is so true.  Esther and Angi.. two drop outs, went to Lane =
Community College for G.E.D classes and got their G.E.D.'s.  They both =
noted a peaceful, easy going atmosphere, nobody hassling or harrassing =
them (as opposed to regular High School where threats and violent =
"others" were constantly annoying them).
Angi has exceeded $18,000 for yearly income and still moving up.  Esther =
is taking classes at Lane Community College currently and is loving it.
They each went the G.E.D. way while staying with me back in the early =
90's.
Their chances for successfully completing their high school educations =
otherwise were slim.  It took a supportive environment for them to =
achieve.

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C0591E.DB8B3C00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT size=3D2>"We feel we can help turn [these =
problems]=20
around<BR>by dealing with the basic problem of these people,<BR>which is =

self-esteem," King says. "When you can't<BR>look yourself in the mirror =
in the=20
morning, the rest of<BR>the day is pretty bad. But if you can find=20
an<BR>environment that wants to support you rather than<BR>tear you =
down, your=20
odds of going somewhere on<BR>your own are greatly =
improved."<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D2>This is so true.&nbsp; Esther and =
Angi.. two drop=20
outs, went to Lane Community College for G.E.D classes and got their=20
G.E.D.'s.&nbsp; They both noted a peaceful, easy going atmosphere, =
nobody=20
hassling or harrassing them (as opposed to regular High School where =
threats and=20
violent "others" were constantly annoying them).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D2>Angi has exceeded $18,000 for yearly =
income and=20
still moving up.&nbsp; Esther is taking classes at Lane Community =
College=20
currently and is loving it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D2>They each went the G.E.D. way while =
staying with me=20
back in the early 90's.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D2>Their chances for successfully =
completing their=20
high school educations otherwise were slim.&nbsp; It took a supportive=20
environment for them to achieve.</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C0591E.DB8B3C00--