[Hpn] Unbought-Unbossed: God's Agitator, Hosea Williams remembered fw

Tom Boland wgcp@earthlink.net
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:13:54 -0800 (PST)

Unbought-Unbossed: God's Agitator, Hosea Williams remembered:

"A 10-foot high placard was placed outside the entrance to Turner
Field, reading ``Unbought-Unbossed: God's Agitator, Hosea
Williams.'' Dinner guests, volunteers and even passers-by took
turns writing messages on the wooden surface." -- from AP article below

http://newsfinder.arinet.com/fpweb/fp.dll/$stargeneral/htm/x_dv.htm/_ibyx/cg0302
6/_itox/starnet/_svc/news/_Id/688582561/_k/uH4FFGWnR5BwgFWZ
FWD  Associated Press - AP Wire Service - Nov 23, 2000
     Photo Advisory  AX101-102

GOVERNOR, CELEBRITIES PITCH IN TO HELP WILLIAM'S ANNUAL DINNER

By KEITH PARSONS
Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA (AP) _ Before civil rights veteran Hosea Williams died
last week, he was troubled about how his annual Hosea's Feed the
Hungry and Homeless event would survive without him, said his
daughter, Elisabeth Omilami.

He didn't need to worry.

``He would be so proud of what happened,'' Omilami said Thursday
as about 30,000 diners gathered for a seven-course meal at the 30th
annual event at Turner Field. Dinner guests also received medical
assistance, counseling and the opportunity to phone family members.

Rapper Sean ``Puffy'' Combs donated the money for this year's
dinner. He was joined by hundreds of volunteers, including Arista
Records president Antonio ``L.A.'' Reid, Georgia Gov. Roy Barnes,
Olympian Gail Devers and Atlanta Mayor Bill Campbell, who
proclaimed Thanksgiving Day as Hosea Williams Day in Atlanta.

Williams, who organized protest rallies throughout the South as
part of his work with Martin Luther King Jr., died Nov. 16 at an
Atlanta hospital from complications related to his long fight
against cancer. He was 74.

``I didn't know Rev. Williams at all,'' Combs said. ``I just
wanted to be a part of this. As a young black man, I aspire to
follow in his footsteps.''

Combs declined to divulge how much he spent _ ``It's a lot,'' he
joked _ but Reid said he planned to match the entertainer's
donation.

Before the food was served, so many volunteers thronged to
Turner Field that Omilami asked some to leave and return later in
the day.

One of the volunteers, Edward Smith, came with his mother and
sister.

``I heard a lot about it since Rev. Williams' passing, and I
thought it would be a good thing for us to come,'' said Smith, 17,
a high school senior.

The line of homeless and hungry who entered the reception area
were greeted with a rousing ovation and shouts of ``Happy
Thanksgiving'' from volunteers. Stages were set up on both sides of
the dinner tables for entertainment.

``It's good they do this,'' said Joe, a dinner guest who
revealed only his first name. ``I've been coming for a few years
and they always treat us good.''

A 10-foot high placard was placed outside the entrance to Turner
Field, reading ``Unbought-Unbossed: God's Agitator, Hosea
Williams.'' Dinner guests, volunteers and even passers-by took
turns writing messages on the wooden surface.

Devers, who lives in Atlanta and has her own charitable
organization, said she felt ``blessed'' to participate.

``Hosea Williams started the path for us, but we don't need to
just follow his steps,'' Devers said. ``We can make our own paths
and take this even further.''

Elsewhere around Georgia, Georgia Southern University's Center
for Latino Outreach and Winn-Dixie served Thanksgiving dinner to
Hispanic immigrants who have settled around Statesboro in recent
years.

The menu featured roasted chicken, black beans, tortillas, corn
and fresh fruits.

``It's a mixture of traditional American food and Hispanic
food,'' center director Debra Sabia said. ``It's just something we
thought we could do to let them celebrate Thanksgiving in their own
homes.''

Faculty and students donated money for the dinners.

At Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, about 800 soldiers and
their families rested after a huge meal served Wednesday by the
75th Ranger Regiment.

The cooks worked for two days preparing 400 pounds of turkey,
200 pounds of prime rib, 150 pounds of ham, 50 pounds of lobster,
50 pounds of crab legs, 90 pounds of shrimp and 60 pounds of
salmon, Staff Sgt. Chris Cahall said.

AP-CS-11-23-00 1527EST
Received  Id AP10032839FA3D94 on Nov 25 2000 08:20

END FORWARD

**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.**