[Hpn] Section 8

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 21:40:57 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C05596.1069D300

Another problem with deep poverty is lacking sufficient funds for home =
maintenance and repair.  Sometimes it is just plain difficult to buy =
cleaning agents much less new shades, etc., when damage occurs.
Certain tools are a priority luxury to me.  My oldest daughter bought me =
my first steam cleaner (I now have a second, more modern one).  One year =
I asked for a modern dictionary because I couldn't find a word I knew =
existed in my older one.
With the exception of the homes I lived in in Arkansas (which belonged =
to my grandmother and I rented) I have only ever had two places of my =
own that had washing machine hook-ups.  This one is by far the better =
than the other(s, including Arkansas) being that it also has a dryer =
hook up.  What a luxury.  I've had a nightmare with appliances this past =
year however, and my current dryer takes three full 70 minute cycles to =
dry a full load.  It is my third in a year (I've already paid a repair =
man to service number two which I also traded off for drying too slow).  =
I can hardly wait for bigger better money to come in for more reliable =
appliances.  Just properly disposing of bad appliances is an effort in =
itself.
My highest yearly income has never reached $8,000, twice I've reached =
$7,000+.
(Figures do not include earned income, inheritance, etc.)
Social aid to the poor does not include accumulating, acquiring.  e.g. =
Joyce, the sitter, who is cutting back the hours she charges for because =
$10 makes the difference between whether her husband pays $600 a month =
for prescriptions (needed medicine) or gets the medicine free.  (Or so =
how she painted it).
Poverty is not trying to be eliminated, or else humans would be allowed =
to gain, by property or what may (to secure).  But there is no security, =
only continued dependency.  We are kept in economic confines, unless we =
go the very narrow road of formal education and acquire means by =
scholastic achievement.  Otherwise we are considered undeserving of =
fortune. =20
Some landlords shriek over the thought of section 8 tenants because of =
damages they experienced.  Section 8 now passes it over to the tenant =
with the thought, I believe, that if it's their hard gained money at =
stake, they will do better to take care.  That is one aspect, the other =
is that landlords scammed on it.  I'm sure many a reputation was ruined =
and tainted with lies and exaggeration for that ease of taking =
advantage.
When a tenant at my first apartments here in Oregon (which were blocks =
from the Mission), the landlady provided a vacuum for tenants to borrow. =
 Most people who lived in these studios were poor and/or from the =
mission and simply didn't have all the resources for maintenance.  She =
was also diligent and sensible about keeping cockroaches away.  (That =
was a service to herself and the dignity of the apartments as well).
I thought it would be nice to have a vacuum and steam cleaner rental =
program, with an orientation on machine care before rental privileges.  =
I've replaced two plastic fans in my newest vacuum for helpful helpers =
who didn't realize that vacuums don't like eating rocks and screws and =
like.  My first job (age 18) was for Kirby Vacuum Company, Mrs. Barcala, =
the bosses wife straight away educated me about those fragile fans and =
nails and screws. =20
I don't think some people realize that people can spend years upon years =
of scarcely surviving and a life time can go by, a generation grow up, =
without access to the means.. the washer, the dryer, the this the that, =
that help organize our lives and keep us looking good.  Heck, I have =
just accumulated a kitchen table after a year of having none.  Just that =
makes a difference.  Take nothing for granted when it comes to living on =
bare means.

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C05596.1069D300

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Another problem with deep poverty is lacking =
sufficient funds=20
for home maintenance and repair.&nbsp; Sometimes it is just plain =
difficult to=20
buy cleaning agents much less new shades, etc., when damage =
occurs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Certain tools are a priority luxury to me.&nbsp; My =
oldest=20
daughter bought me my first steam cleaner (I now have a second, more =
modern=20
one).&nbsp; One year I asked for a modern dictionary because I couldn't =
find a=20
word I knew existed in my older one.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>With the exception of the homes I lived in in =
Arkansas (which=20
belonged to my grandmother and I rented) I have only ever had two places =
of my=20
own that had washing machine hook-ups.&nbsp; This one is by far the =
better than=20
the other(s, including Arkansas) being that it also has a dryer hook =
up.&nbsp;=20
What a luxury.&nbsp; I've had a nightmare with appliances this past year =

however, and my current dryer takes three full 70 minute cycles to dry a =
full=20
load.&nbsp; It is my third in a year (I've already paid a repair man to =
service=20
number two which I also traded off for drying too slow).&nbsp; I can =
hardly wait=20
for bigger better money to come in for more reliable appliances.&nbsp; =
Just=20
properly disposing of bad appliances is an effort in =
itself.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My highest yearly income has never reached $8,000, =
twice I've=20
reached $7,000+.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>(Figures do not include earned income, inheritance,=20
etc.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Social aid to the poor does not include =
accumulating,=20
acquiring.&nbsp; e.g. Joyce, the sitter, who is cutting back the hours =
she=20
charges for because $10 makes the difference between whether her husband =
pays=20
$600 a month for prescriptions (needed medicine) or gets the medicine=20
free.&nbsp; (Or so how she painted it).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Poverty is not trying to be eliminated, or else =
humans would=20
be allowed to gain, by property or what may (to secure).&nbsp; But there =
is no=20
security, only continued dependency.&nbsp; We are kept in economic =
confines,=20
unless we go the very narrow road of formal education and acquire means =
by=20
scholastic achievement.&nbsp; Otherwise we are considered undeserving of =

fortune.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Some landlords shriek over the thought of section 8 =
tenants=20
because of damages they experienced.&nbsp; Section 8 now passes it over =
to the=20
tenant with the thought, I believe, that if it's their hard gained money =
at=20
stake, they will do better to take care.&nbsp; That is one aspect, the =
other is=20
that landlords scammed on it.&nbsp; I'm sure many a reputation was =
ruined and=20
tainted with lies and exaggeration for that ease of taking=20
advantage.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>When a tenant at my first apartments here in Oregon =
(which=20
were blocks from the Mission), the landlady provided a vacuum for =
tenants to=20
borrow.&nbsp; Most people who lived in these studios were poor and/or =
from the=20
mission and simply didn't have all the resources for maintenance.&nbsp; =
She was=20
also diligent and sensible about keeping cockroaches away.&nbsp; (That =
was a=20
service to herself and the dignity of the apartments as =
well).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I thought it would be nice to have a vacuum and =
steam cleaner=20
rental program, with an orientation on machine care before rental=20
privileges.&nbsp; I've replaced two plastic fans in my newest vacuum for =
helpful=20
helpers who didn't realize that vacuums don't like eating rocks and =
screws and=20
like.&nbsp; My first job (age 18) was for Kirby Vacuum Company, Mrs. =
Barcala,=20
the bosses wife straight away educated me about those fragile =
fans&nbsp;and=20
nails and screws.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I don't think some people realize that people can =
spend years=20
upon years of scarcely surviving and a life time can go by, a generation =
grow=20
up, without access to the means.. the washer, the dryer, the this the =
that, that=20
help organize our lives and keep us looking good.&nbsp; Heck, I have =
just=20
accumulated a kitchen table after a year of having none.&nbsp; Just that =
makes a=20
difference.&nbsp; Take nothing for granted when it comes to living on =
bare=20
means.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>