[Hpn] Jailed Woman Gets Holiday Respite

William Tinker wtinker@fcgnetworks.net
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:05:15 -0500

 http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-BRF-Visitation-Dispute.html

 November 22, 2000

 By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

 Filed at 7:30 a.m. ET

 EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) -- A woman jailed for rebuffing
court-ordered visits between her daughter and her dead husband's
mother will get to spend Thanksgiving at home with her child.

 Julie Mehring, of Columbia, will be set free Thursday and Friday by
order of Madison County Associate Judge Barbara Crowder.

 Mehring was first jailed Nov. 17 after defying a court order
allowing visits between her 8-year-old daughter, Jenna, and the
girl's paternal grandmother. She contends Ella Mehring has played
no role in Jenna's upbringing and should not be allowed visits over
her objections.

``I'm elated that I'll have Thanksgiving with my family,'' Mehring
said. ``Jenna will definitely be happy.''

 In January, Crowder ordered Mehring to remain at home on evenings
and weekends for Jenna's sake. She is the county's only daytime
prisoner.

 Mehring filed for divorce from Michael Mehring in 1996. He died of
congestive heart failure at 39, before the divorce was final.

 A hearing on whether she should be freed while awaiting the case's
outcome was set for Dec. 8.

 The New York Times on the Web
http://www.nytimes.com