[Hpn] soft money for the funding of service providers

Lucinda Houston lucy@efn.org
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:30:07 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C050BC.07328900

You can say that again.  I visited the Glenwood camp last time I was in =
town
(Monday.. town is 45 miles away).  (Glenwood is located just between =
Eugene
and Springfield.  State Patrol guarded).  I found one tent by the river =
and
found an exposed sleeping bag with a pillow on it in another spot.  It =
is
much too cold, and here in Oregon gets much too wet to lie in an exposed
position like that.  It has been freezing overnight lately, and just the =
dew
would ruin that bedding.  I wish I would have at least had the kid tent =
that
I picked up last year to give.. it was only $15.  Would have been =
cramped,
but would have kept exposed bedding protected and dry.  Them elements is
real'.
With the jobs program, and if you are a family, ASF will cover the cost =
of
camping necessities to an extent (they covered my tent/sleeping bag =
package,
$99, I put my cook stove on credit), but for other humans who don't go =
that
route, local churches and organizations would be the best (if not only)
resource to provide these basic needs.
The farther they can go, the better.  (priority tent/sleeping bag, =
sterno
stove, maybe a can or two of sterno fuel or other, thermal socks, pairs =
of
dry socks, etc.)
In Tucson, at Millers Surplus store, large cans of Sterno fuel could be
bought for $1 each, for cooking with.  Otherwise, I noticed, it might =
have
been a $9 bill for three small cans of Sterno at Sears.
I had a duel fuel cookstove when I was camping, which could use either
unleaded gas or Coleman fuel (which burned cleaner).
This winter, and especially when it is cold, if panhandlers are out and
about, please give!!!  Necessities add up, big time.  (Toilet paper, =
Sterno,
fuel, mantels, food, cigarettes, beer, batteries, newspaper, etc., etc.)
Just being real.  Comfort factor.  Survival.
Good food to donate:  No dry beans!!!  Consumes fuel, big time.  Canned,
ready to eat food best.  Macaroni and cheese (in a can), stew, chicken =
and
dumpling noodles, soup, tuna, bread.  Hearty foods.  Wanna go pro?  Add
quality vitamins to the package.
Pretend it is you out there and figure out what you would need/want.
It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be reliable and =
utilized.
If you got it to offer, offer.  Keep in mind it might get ruined in the
elements (wet, damp, moldy).  But keep in mind that it makes another =
day,
possibly.
Also!  Portable alarm clocks!  Good ones!  Good models!  (helps keep
appointments, interviews, etc.)
One more thing, can openers.  Homeless guys love having some little =
utensil
called.. I dunno, some little gadget that opens cans.  Sam and George, =
of
Blair Necessities, bought out and gave them away to homeless, but my
preference is the newer versions of turn key can openers with vinyl =
handles,
easy opening.  Either way, can openers a plus!!!  (Homeless people don't
turn down toilet paper either).
Ideal interesting donation:  Interesting box: 1-2 rolls toilet paper, =
2-6
cans ready made canned food, 2-4 pairs men's white tube socks (can be =
worn
by all), one loaf of bread, lil alarm clock (even wind up, or sterno =
burner
w/ or w/o sterno, can opener) $5 cash.  It wouldn't be all, but it would =
be
nice.  If person couldn't use stove (Sterno/whatever) would give or =
trade.
If person has no tent, toilet paper might be ruined or bartered.  =
Vitamins
might be used, bartered, or ruined.
Bottom line:  Working as a team: Teamwork.  Human dignity.

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C050BC.07328900

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You can say that again.&nbsp; I visited the Glenwood =
camp last=20
time I was in town<BR>(Monday.. town is 45 miles away).&nbsp; (Glenwood =
is=20
located just between Eugene<BR>and Springfield.&nbsp; State Patrol=20
guarded).&nbsp; I found one tent by the river and<BR>found an exposed =
sleeping=20
bag with a pillow on it in another spot.&nbsp; It is<BR>much too cold, =
and here=20
in Oregon gets much too wet to lie in an exposed<BR>position like =
that.&nbsp; It=20
has been freezing overnight lately, and just the dew<BR>would ruin that=20
bedding.&nbsp; I wish I would have at least had the kid tent that<BR>I =
picked up=20
last year to give.. it was only $15.&nbsp; Would have been =
cramped,<BR>but would=20
have kept exposed bedding protected and dry.&nbsp; Them elements=20
is<BR>real'.<BR>With the jobs program, and if you are a family, ASF will =
cover=20
the cost of<BR>camping necessities to an extent (they covered my =
tent/sleeping=20
bag package,<BR>$99, I put my cook stove on credit), but for other =
humans who=20
don't go that<BR>route, local churches and organizations would be the =
best (if=20
not only)<BR>resource to provide these basic needs.<BR>The farther they =
can go,=20
the better.&nbsp; (priority tent/sleeping bag, sterno<BR>stove, maybe a =
can or=20
two of sterno fuel or other, thermal socks, pairs of<BR>dry socks, =
etc.)<BR>In=20
Tucson, at Millers Surplus store, large cans of Sterno fuel could =
be<BR>bought=20
for $1 each, for cooking with.&nbsp; Otherwise, I noticed, it might =
have<BR>been=20
a $9 bill for three small cans of Sterno at Sears.<BR>I had a duel fuel=20
cookstove when I was camping, which could use either<BR>unleaded gas or =
Coleman=20
fuel (which burned cleaner).<BR>This winter, and especially when it is =
cold, if=20
panhandlers are out and<BR>about, please give!!!&nbsp; Necessities add =
up, big=20
time.&nbsp; (Toilet paper, Sterno,<BR>fuel, mantels, food, cigarettes, =
beer,=20
batteries, newspaper, etc., etc.)<BR>Just being real.&nbsp; Comfort=20
factor.&nbsp; Survival.<BR>Good food to donate:&nbsp; No dry =
beans!!!&nbsp;=20
Consumes fuel, big time.&nbsp; Canned,<BR>ready to eat food best.&nbsp; =
Macaroni=20
and cheese (in a can), stew, chicken and<BR>dumpling noodles, soup, =
tuna,=20
bread.&nbsp; Hearty foods.&nbsp; Wanna go pro?&nbsp; Add<BR>quality =
vitamins to=20
the package.<BR>Pretend it is you out there and figure out what you =
would=20
need/want.<BR>It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be =
reliable and=20
utilized.<BR>If you got it to offer, offer.&nbsp; Keep in mind it might =
get=20
ruined in the<BR>elements (wet, damp, moldy).&nbsp; But keep in mind =
that it=20
makes another day,<BR>possibly.<BR>Also!&nbsp; Portable alarm =
clocks!&nbsp; Good=20
ones!&nbsp; Good models!&nbsp; (helps keep<BR>appointments, interviews,=20
etc.)<BR>One more thing, can openers.&nbsp; Homeless guys love having =
some=20
little utensil<BR>called.. I dunno, some little gadget that opens =
cans.&nbsp;=20
Sam and George, of<BR>Blair Necessities, bought out and gave them away =
to=20
homeless, but my<BR>preference is the newer versions of turn key can =
openers=20
with vinyl handles,<BR>easy opening.&nbsp; Either way, can openers a=20
plus!!!&nbsp; (Homeless people don't<BR>turn down toilet paper =
either).<BR>Ideal=20
interesting donation:&nbsp; Interesting box: 1-2 rolls toilet paper, =
2-6<BR>cans=20
ready made canned food, 2-4 pairs men's white tube socks (can be =
worn<BR>by=20
all), one loaf of bread, lil alarm clock (even wind up, or sterno =
burner<BR>w/=20
or w/o sterno, can opener) $5 cash.&nbsp; It wouldn't be all, but it =
would=20
be<BR>nice.&nbsp; If person couldn't use stove (Sterno/whatever) would =
give or=20
trade.<BR>If person has no tent, toilet paper might be ruined or =
bartered.&nbsp;=20
Vitamins<BR>might be used, bartered, or ruined.<BR>Bottom line:&nbsp; =
Working as=20
a team: Teamwork.&nbsp; Human dignity.<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C050BC.07328900--