[Hpn] National Day of Mourning

Thomas Cagle nh-adapt@juno.com
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 06:01:08 -0500

From: United American Indians of New England <uaine19@idt.net>

31st NATIONAL DAY OF MOURNING
Thursday, November 23, 2000
12 Noon
Cole's Hill
(the hill above Plymouth Rock)
Plymouth, Massachusetts

Join us as we dedicate the 31st National Day of Mourning to our brother,
Native political prisoner Leonard Peltier.  Add your voice to the
millions
worldwide who demand his freedom.  Help us in our struggle to create a
true
awareness of Native people and demonstrate Native unity.  Help shatter
the
untrue glass image of the Pilgrims and the unjust system based on racism,

sexism, and homophobia.

For More Information Contact:
United American Indians of New England/LPSG
PO Box 697501, Quincy, MA  02269
Phone and Fax: (781) 331-3690
E-mail: uaine19@idt.net
Website:  http://idt.net/~uaine19

United American Indians of New England
P.O. Box 697501  Quincy, MA  02269  Telephone 781-331-3690  Fax 781-331
3690  e-mail: uaine19@idt.net
Visit our website at http://idt.net/~uaine19

Dear Sisters and
Brothers:
November 1, 2000
Here is an orientation on National Day of Mourning 2000.  We look forward

to seeing you in Plymouth on November 23, 2000.
WHAT IS NATIONAL DAY OF MOURNING?  An annual tradition since 1970, Day of

Mourning is a solemn, spiritual and highly political day.  Many of us
fast
from sundown the day before through the afternoon of that day (and have a

social after Day of Mourning so that participants in DOM can break their
fasts).  We are mourning our ancestors and the genocide of our peoples
and
the theft of our lands.  NDOM is a day when we mourn, but we also feel
our
strength in political action.  Over the years, participants in Day of
Mourning have buried Plymouth Rocka number of times, boarded the
Mayflower
replica, and placed ku klux klan sheets on the statue of William
Bradford,
etc.
         WHEN AND WHERE IS DAY OF MOURNING?  Thursday, November 23, 2000
(U.S. "thanksgiving" day) at Cole's Hill, Plymouth, Massachusetts, 12
noon
SHARP.  Cole's Hill is the hill above Plymouth Rock in the Plymouth
historic waterfront area.
         WILL THERE BE A MARCH?  There will be a march this year through
the historic district of Plymouth.  Plymouth has agreed, as part of the
settlement of 10/19/98, that UAINE may march on Day of Mourning without
the
need for a permit as long as we give the town advance notice.
         DRUMS:  Native drummers and singers are welcomed.  Non-Native or

"mixed" drums are not.
         PROGRAM:  Although we welcome our non-Native supporters to stand

with us, it is a day when Native people only speak about our history and
what is going on with us now and the struggles that are taking place
throughout the Americas.  Speakers will be by invitation only.
This year's NDOM is once again dedicated to our brother Leonard
Peltier.  Please take the time to read the enclosed material about the
Peltier Walk for Freedom on December 10 in New York City and about the
final push for Clinton to grant clemency!
         VENDORS/LITERATURE:  DOM is not a pow-wow nor a day to make
money
or entertain the tourists.  We do not allow anyone to buy or sell
merchandise at DOM under any circumstances.  There are 364 other days in
the year when people can do so.  If you have literature that is free, we
will provide a place for you to put it.  If you try to sell literature or

other merchandise, our Peacekeepers will ask you to stop.  Native elders
involved with UAINE and Day of Mourning since 1970 have been very clear
on
this point.  The only exception is that we usually have a blanket dance
raise funds for the Peltier Defense Committee and UAINE.
         POT-LUCK:  There will be a pot-luck social following DOM.  There

are very limited kitchen facilities in the social hall, so please bring
something that does not need to be cooked or heated.  We ask that you
respect our custom that elders, pregnant women and children eat
first.  People who do not respect our customs will be asked to leave.
         WEATHER:  It is often cold and very windy.  We cannot predict
whether there will be rain or snow.  Please dress for the weather.  Dress

in layers, and remember that you will be standing outside on cold ground
for at least a couple of hours.
         TRANSPORTATION:  Limited bus seats will be available from
Boston.  Contact the Boston International Action Center at (617)
522-6626.
         FUNDING:  UAINE is in serious need of monetary donations for Day

of Mourning 2000, so that we may purchase paper products and other items
for the social, for printing and mailing, tables and chairs, sound and
stage, you name it!  Please give whatever you can afford to help with
this
historic event.
         CAN'T GET TO DAY OF MOURNING?  Some people who live too far away

to travel are having a Day of Mourning right where they live.  We
encourage
people to take steps locally to increase awareness about past and
continuing mistreatment of Native peoples.
-------------------------------

Name:___________________________________________________________________

Address:_________________________________________________________________

Phone:_________________________________E-mail____________________________
_

Organization:_________________________________________________________

_____I'm enclosing a donation of $________ to help UAINE with National
Day
of Mourning.

United American Indians of New England
P.O. Box 697501 Quincy, MA  02269  (781) 331-3690  uaine19@idt.net

FREE LEONARD PELTIER NOW!
Please get involved with the Countdown to Clemency Campaign for Leonard
Peltier, and please plan to march in New York City on December 10.  For
more information, go to the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee website:
http://www.freepeltier.org/countdown_flyer1.htm#top

Join the Counter-Inaugural in Washington, DC on January 20.  For more
information, go to the International Action Center website:
http://www.iacenter.org/stop_dmachine.htm

Free Mumia Abu Jamal!  http://www.mumia2000.org/

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.