[Hpn] RE: SHELTERS UNPOPULAR with many homeless people. Why? Your solut ions?

Wilkinson,MH (pgr) M.H.Wilkinson@lse.ac.uk
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:56:43 +0000

In England, there is evidence that a number of homeless people would prefer
to sleep rough than live in a hostel.  Especially the long term homeless.

There are a number of reasons and the reasons vary from person to person: -
*	People want to stay with thier friends, and stay up late drinking
and talking.
*	Many hostels are 'dry hostels' - no alcohol on the premisis and no
one who is very drunk.  This means that if you are an alcoholic, you would
don't want to last from 7.30pm to 7.30am without drinking.
*	In the summer its cheaper to sleep rough than pay the hostel fees.
*	Some hostels have very poor standards indeed, people feel it is
almost cleaner to sleep rough.
*	Some hostels can be very intimidating, either because of the type of
resident they attract or because their layout or staffing.  Some people feel
it is safer to sleep on the streets.  At least in a door way you are
protected on three sides, you just have to watch the fourth.  Or you can
sleep in the same door way or car park with people you trust.
*	A lot of homeless people have dogs, very few hostels in england
allow clients and their pets to stay.

The cold weather shelters and Christmas shelters in England (especially
London) have a much better record.  But they have far less rules.  People
sleep in big rooms on mattresses on the floors, but can drink in some
shelters and they can take their dogs to other shelters.

Megan Ravenhill