[Hpn] 'Coup Watch' Series Begins On IMC

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:45:01 -0700

'Coup Watch' Series Begins On IMC

by Paul H. Rosenberg <rad@gte.net>
Thu Nov 9 '00

This post announces the beginning of a series of COUP WATCH articles. It's
not a coup by a particular small group of plotters, it's the fitting climax
of a systemically anti-democratic process -- a plutocratic coup taking place
in plain sight. Get informed. Join the opposition.
There is a coup going on in our country, right now as I write. It's taking
place in plain sight. It's been in plain sight for many of us for quite some
time now. But now it's obvious to everyone.

This marks the beginning of a series of COUP WATCH articles. It's not a coup
by a particular small group of plotters, though there's certainly signs that
a variety of deliberate acts were taken to suppress Democratic votes.
Rather,
it's the fitting climax of a systemically anti-democratic process -- a
plutocratic coup taking place in plain sight.

Many people who visit our site may shrug and say, "So What?" They didn't
vote
for Gore, maybe they didn't vote at all. But this latest turn of events,
with
the will of the people in Florida *clearly* thwarted, serves as a massive
escalation in the ongoing demonstration of just how anti-democratic our
system really is.

It's no longer just the anti-WTO demonstrators being shut out of the
process.

It's no longer just Ralph Nader being shut out of the debates.

It's now the MAJORITY of the American people who are seeing their votes for
President being shut out of the political process. Al Gore may not care
about
it that much. He seems half-inclined to prefer looking like a good sport to
fighting for his own election. But the people whose intended votes have been
invalidated are MAD AS HELL.

While many liberal Democrats are their venting spleen on Ralph Nader,
further
splitting progressive forces, the objective facts of an OPEN COUP are
creating an opportunity for reaching out to a much broader constituency.
This
is what we ought to be focusing our attention on now: fighting against this
most fundamental attack on the very principle of democratic self-government.

As an example of what's going now, a story in the Sun-Sentinel
<www.sun-sentinel.com> "Widespread voting irregularities marred presidential
results in S. Florida" By SCOTT WYMAN contained the following passage:

"Republicans from Gov. Jeb Bush to local party leaders disputed whether any
voter problems tipped the scales in favor of the GOP. Jeb Bush, brother of
the Texas governor, blasted a lack of specifics about voting problems.

"'Don't overexaggerate the accusations,' he said. 'This is highly important
business. What's at stake is the next leader of the free world.'"

A *LACK* of specifics? There are people signing affidavits and filing
lawsuits concerning *specific* violations. There are accounts of people
turned away from polling places. There are accounts of police roadblocks,
ticketing people on the way to vote. There are specifics out the ying-yang.

And *BUSH* is the honest one in this campaign???

The whole political elite is being forced to go through all manner of
contortions, just to keep up the charade that the Emperor's New Clothes
*really, really, really ARE* the best that's ever been seen. The system is
working, they proclaim. No people pouring out into the streets like in Peru
or Indonesia.

No, we Americans are a bit slow. Demonstrations have been called nationwide
for 11 AM on Saturday. Here in LA, they're at the Westwood Federal Building
(11000 Wilshire). The Countercoup website link below has more information.

There is a coup going on in our country, right now as I write. It's taking
place in plain sight. Defending democracy means defending the bad as well as
the good. Al Gore is no Salvador Allende, that's for sure. But not defending
democracy means tacit support for democracy's enemies. And those who would
triumph in this coup are remarkably similar to Pinochet.

There is a coup going on in our country, and there's an opposition. Join the
opposition.

<www.geocities.com/countercoup/>

--
END FORWARD

**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,
this material is distributed without charge or profit
to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this type of information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.**

Year 2000 posts
INFO & to join/leave list - Tom Boland
<wgcp@earthlink.net>
Nothing About Us Without Us -