[Hpn] Fw: LEONARD PELTIER: EXTREMELY URGENT ACTION

Graeme Bacque graeme.bacque@3web.net
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 19:20:49 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "otter" <otter@tao.ca>
To: <san@lists.tao.ca>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2000 5:56 PM
Subject: san: LEONARD PELTIER: EXTREMELY URGENT ACTION

 CALL THE WHITE HOUSE FOR LEONARD PELTIER : 202-456-1111
 CLEMENCY MAY BE DECIDED SOON : IT'S NOW OR NEVER
 EXTREMELY URGENT ACTION

 Your voice can make a difference. Muchas gracias y mucho kupuri, Pablito

From the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee

 Dear Friends,

 We have some very exciting news for everyone !  President Clinton has

 publicly confirmed that Leonard's clemency petition has reached his office,

 and that it will be decided one way or the other in the very near future.

 Quite possibly, a decision could be made over the Thanksgiving holiday!

 It looks like critical decisions are being made in the White House RIGHT

 NOW.

 Congratulations to everyone who has worked so hard the  last many years for

 Leonard. You have brought this case right up to Clinton's desk. But now we

 must work harder than ever for the next few weeks.  We are down to the wire

 and this is literally a matter of life and death. It looks like Bush will
be

 the new President, and you know what that means for clemency for Leonard.

 It is now or never for telling the White House how we feel about the case.

 We are asking people to call every single day to the White House, starting

 now, and up through December 1. (We will send out new information

 then).While it is possible that a positive decision might take longer, we

 must make very sure that Leonard's case is not dropped from the list in the

 early stages.

 The FBI camp has initiated their own phone campaign to the White House

 protesting clemency. WE MUST DROWN THEM OUT. Leonard's support across

 country is huge, but we must now make ourselves heard, more than ever.

 PLEASE CALL THE WHITE HOUSE COMMENTS LINE EVER DAY THROUGH DECEMBER 1st!

 TRY TO ORGANIZE AS MANY FRIENDS AND SUPPORTERS AS POSSIBLE TO MAKE THE
CALLS

 WITH YOU!

 To reach the White House Comments Line just call 202-456-1111. You will get

 a recording, but you can skip it by dialing  "0" for the live people.  What

 counts is that hundreds of calls come in every single day. Clinton needs to

 know he has our

 full support for Leonard's release.

 You may get an operator who seems very interested in talking, or someone
who

 does not want to talk at all and doesn't care. This doesn't matter at all

 either. Whoever answers your call, they must tally the total at the end of

 the day and send the numbers upstairs to Mr. Clinton.

 Keep the message courteous and straightforward. Here is a sample :

 1. Identify yourself and your state.and any nation you belong to..any job

 title if you wish.

 2. Explain that you want Clinton to immediately and unconditionally release

 Mr.Peltier.

 3. Explain that Mr.Peltier never got a fair trial because the FBI coerced

 witnesses and concealed the ballistics test reflecting his innocence.

 4. Mr.Peltier especially deserves clemency because of his incredible record

 of good deeds behind bars.like sponsoring a Native scholarship program,

 adopting children in Central America,  supporting battered women's centers

 and substance abuse programs, and sponsoring an annual Christmas clothing

 and toys drive for the children of Pine Ridge.

 5. Time is running out to resolve this national tragedy, because Peltier
now

 suffers from diabetes, a heart condition and high blood pressure.

 6. Releasing Mr.Peltier will be an important first step in national

 reconciliation between the United States government and the Native American

 people of this country.

 If you wish to write as well as call, the White House fax number is

 202-456-2461

 COUNTDOWN TO CLEMENCY  : FINAL PHASE : IT'S NOW OR NEVER

 --LPDC

 Call the White House Comments Line Today

 Demand Justice for Leonard Peltier! 202-456-1111

 Be in New York City December 10th

 Peltier Walk For Freedom!

 Leonard Peltier Defense Committee

 PO Box 583