[Hpn] Re: [nasna] ACLU Newsfeed on Solicitors Lawsuit - Court Bars Enforcement of "Get a License to Talk" Law Enforcement of "Get a License to Talk" Law

Wes Browning wes@speakeasy.org
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 00:51:08 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Tom Boland wrote:

> Before people can solicit funds for nonprofits, do you support:
> "requiring people to apply for a license from town officials
> and submit to a police background check"?  Why or why not?

What is it with these people who have to have every danger in life
annihilated? Yo! You are more likely to die taking a shower than
answering your door in Medina! You are more likely to be a victim of
fraud, and worse fraud, using your Gold Card to check out porn on the
internet than from answering your door in Medina!

I've been to Medina, and going door to door there would be a
nightmare. You've got no sidewalks, because nobody who lives there is
ever a pedestrian, so they don't give a shit about anyone who is. It's
hilly, the roads are narrow and winding, and there's hardly room to
get out of the way when a Beamer comes whipping around a bend. You
walk through someone's oh so quaint cedar gate down their charming
stone foot-path (never used by the residents, they come and go through
the garage). You get to the door and ring the bell, and you see
paranoid rich people glaring at you out from behind their curtains.
After several minutes someone finally comes to the door, and without
opening it, shouts, "WHAT DO YOU WANT? WHO ARE YOU?" "I'm the cab
driver you called for." "Oh."

I think we should wall off Medina. Nobody gets in or out. To hell with
them.

Wes Browning
Discovering New Ways to Harness Stupidity --
Since 1991.