[Hpn] Bush is elected; it's time to go to work

Anitra Freeman anitra@speakeasy.org
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 00:02:15 -0800 (PST)

It is incredible to me that a man who should have been laughed out of
the race months ago has actually won the Presidency.

I was looking at the exit poll analysis on CNN.  It looks like it was
the middle and upper-middle class white male voters earning $50K or
over who won the election for Bush.  The folks who feel threatened by
most of progressive political issues.

I do hope that Gore does not concede until after the electoral college
vote in December, and makes Bush sweat for it.

In the meantime, we have to make plans for survival.  Everyone
interested in progressive social causes will need to work twice as hard
to keep them alive during the next four years.

At least we have more Democrats in the Senate -- including Maria
Cantwell, from Washington State, replacing Senator Slade Gorton.  The
Senate may be a buffer between us and the plans of the Bush
administration.

We will need all the help we can get.  May God -- or the Higher Power of
Your Choice -- be with us all.

Write On! / Anitra L. Freeman / http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/
"We can't help everyone.  We can't fix everything.  It hurts.
 But it is better to live with pain than to live without caring."